RNY 13 years ago...Impossible Whoppper not sitting well!!

White Dove
on 10/11/19 4:58 pm - Warren, OH

I agree with you on all counts, but it is the biggest step in the right direction.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 10/11/19 5:36 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Is it?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 10/11/19 5:41 pm - Warren, OH

Have you really studied it? Meat will be produced in a lab, although it will start with actual meat, the industry that raises and slaughters animals will not longer be needed once these methods are perfected. The only way I can eat meat is to keep my head in the sand about what really happens.

I think of meat as being produced at the supermarket in neat little packages.

That is not realistic but what I have done all of my life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Christina135
on 10/14/19 7:09 am

I understand that to the very core of my being. I did that for years as well, and I think it's a fair statement as to how most people think when feeding themselves. I will be the first to admit, bacon tastes really good! A steak grilled to perfection? Delicious!

My thought process started to change when I learned the conditions the animals are kept in, and the atrocities they suffer from birth to death. It sucks and I HATE knowing what I know now, but I do and I have to make a choice with my conscience. I am not a member of PETA, and I don't ever try to push my vegetarian/vegan ways on others. (Except my husband and he has to put up with me!) I think just having conversations like this one are so important.

The lab meat, I understand it can be exciting but when you start understanding how they are going to do it, and that fetal blood is necessary (stem cells) and realize where that comes from, it just isn't worth it for me.

I am living proof that even after RNY, protein levels and vitamin levels can and are being maintained in a way that my nutritionist and internist both say are wonderful and only from non-animal sources. It's not always easy, but for me, it's worth it.

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

momyshaver
on 10/14/19 4:16 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I agree that lab grown meat will create enormous changes in our world. I think while the intent is good no one really knows the exact impact it will have. I wish that everyone had access to healthy, sustainable, farm or wild raised/caught meat but I realize that "if wishes were fishes that could be caught in nets" and all that... interesting times we live in for sure

momyshaver
on 10/12/19 5:54 am
VSG on 06/28/17

Sort of a spin off but I have been seeing spin offs of this type of burger at Aldi. It looks like an actual burger in the packaging but I try to stick to the perimeter and I haven't tried it. I just find market trends and new items interesting.

jmk187
on 10/16/19 5:33 am, edited 10/16/19 4:07 am
VSG on 02/13/19

I have tried the Beyond burger and the other Beyond products that are not soy based but made with pea protein. I enjoy them but would never want to fully replace meat with them. Anyone who says they can't tell the difference when they eat a meatless alternative is lying or has never ate meat.

Edited to add pea protein.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Christina135
on 10/16/19 6:04 am

Here in San Antonio, one of our local Mexican restaurants is using Beyond Meat as a substitute. For me, I don't say I can't tell the difference, but I guess I really don't mind the very little difference. It's seasoned the same way, and used in tacos/taco bowls. Either way, win/win!

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

jmk187
on 10/16/19 6:26 am
VSG on 02/13/19

yeah I have always enjoyed the taste of meatless products..I just crave them like I crave any food. Before the impossibles and the beyonds came out I was a fan of the bocas and the morning stars. Meat has a lot of calories and its easy to follow a calorie restricted diet when you don't eat meat. I have made tacos at home with the meatless crumbles before. Good stuff.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Partlypollyanna
on 10/16/19 6:44 am
RNY on 02/14/18
On October 16, 2019 at 12:33 PM Pacific Time, jmk187 wrote:

I have tried the Beyond burger and the other Beyond products that are not soy based but made with soy protein. I enjoy them but would never want to fully replace meat with them. Anyone who says they can't tell the difference when they eat a meatless alternative is lying or has never ate meat.

Unless you've had every possible preparation of every possible meatless alternative, it's a little harsh to accuse people of lying, don't you think?

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics