I had rny 10 years ago. Lost 160 gained 100 back how can I reset to get to losing again. Need...

Buffalobabe
on 1/26/20 5:55 pm

Hello

My name is BBD. I had bariatric surgery 20 years ago. I joined this site in 1998. I'm one of the original dinosaurs of this site. THE quickest way to jump start your weight loss again is the same as we used immediately after surgery..

Keep ALL carbs under 10 grams a day.

Keep protein high!! We would do a minimum of 50 grams per day.

You MUST consume at least 800 calories a day to keep your body from going into starvation mode.

DO NOT DRINK with meals! Not even water!

Make sure to drink at LEAST 1 gallon of NO CALORIE liquids. WATER is best.

Excersise, even if just walking around.

Be vigilant.

This does work.

It's not hopeless. Many people have reclaimed their weight loss this way.

Good luck and God bless you.

siberiancat
on 1/22/20 12:29 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I'm almost 11 years out from my RNY. I stayed at goal for about 8 years and then gained 15 pounds. I was consistent with daily tracking but still the scale didn't budge. There is a Bariatric support group that meets monthly, 30 minutes away, but I find that most attendees are pre-op or newly post op. There are no "veterans" like me.

I decided in May 2018 to go to WW (formerly known as Weigh****chers ), in person, weekly. I find I can easily stay on a bariatric eating plan, eat healthy and get my protein in. I'm at goal weight and on maintenance, but I still attend weekly for accountability and support. I see bariatric dietitians annually and they are good with my WW decision. My labs are good and I can manage my nausea and reactive hypoglycemia is under control. That is just what is working for me. You do what is best for you.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Laura in Texas
on 1/23/20 4:35 pm

My bariatric doctor approves of me going to WW, also. She said it is a good plan and will help me get back on track with making better choices. I like the weekly meetings and so far so good!! (I have lost 10 of the 30 I regained).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

jrmorton07
on 3/4/20 1:33 pm

Hi! I am wondering since you are a veteran like me, do you work out and do you eat at a super low calorie intake daily? I workout and eat pretty clean but I eat 1600 a day and workout quite a bit and cant seem to lose weight. People that are non-bariatric say I'm undereating but that is intended as I want to lose about 20 pounds. Just curious what you've been told as a veteran on how to eat (calories, protein, carbs, etc)

Mary Gee
on 1/24/20 9:48 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I totally agree with the others who suggested going back to your surgeon's office. I was struggling to get back on track for the longest time. Finally "turned myself in". Met with surgeon, had labs done, got back on vitamins. Started seeing one of the nutritionists on a monthly basis. Losing again, and it feels great. Still not 100%, but making progress.
Pre-planning meals, weighing/measuring and tracking are back in my life...and that's a good thing. ?

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Amandakc
on 1/24/20 3:30 pm

Thank you

Most Active