Sudden sensitivity to dairy?

Melody P.
on 6/2/20 11:56 am - Amarillo, TX

I know it's not unheard of to develop lactose intolerance after WLS and really at any point in life.

I think dairy and my digestive system have decided to want to part ways. I started a bland diet a few days ago and had a l&f yogurt. I was coughing and my throat felt tighter even before I finished it. I had noticed before but thought it was heartburn alone and due to other stuff.

I've stopped eating dairy and while it's not 100% by any means it is better than before. I still get HB/GERD with a lot of salt or spices and other acidic foods.

who all has dealt with this? I have a ton of PP shakes that I can no longer drink. Ugh.

Julia S.
on 6/3/20 2:01 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

Right after surgery I found out I was lactose intolerant, so I had to switch to things with whey protein isolate. I think I probably always was sensitive to dairy but when all you are eating is dairy the problem is intensified. I was told Greek yogurt was OK and have not had issues with it, there is very little if any lactose in it. The same with hard cheeses. That being said it still does increase the amount of phlegm. I also had HB/GERD pre-op and haven't had it since. But I did develop ulcers when I stopped the omeprazole. So after dealing with ulcers twice I have to take the omeprazole forever...

I have found that if I take lactaid or the generic form of it I don't have any problems. Good luck with this.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Melody P.
on 6/4/20 6:02 am - Amarillo, TX

Thank you for your response!

White Dove
on 6/4/20 5:01 pm - Warren, OH

At six months, I made a cheesecake with no fat or sugar. The skim milk and fat-free cream cheese gave me cramps and diarrhea. Now I only have dairy with Lactaid. I never had lactose intolerance before surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?