Allergy Testing

Melody P.
on 9/4/20 8:41 am - Amarillo, TX

I'm curious as to what some of y'alls experiences with allergy testing was like?

I've come to realize I can't have dairy. It isn't just lactose intolerance. I get insanely itchy, cough and have a sore throat when I have anything with it in it. My mouth gets a rash around it and I usually have a very upset stomach. Looking back I think I most likely didn't need a revision...betting it was milk as I was having 2-3 shakes a day and yogurt a lot.

I was upset for a long time about it. I love milk based products...esp cheese...whaaaaaaa! But I found some plant based stuff that is "ok". I found plant based butter stuff. I have yet to find a yogurt I love that is healthy, they are loaded with sugar.

I'm going to ask my doctor for some kind of allergy testing. I'm lucky that there is so much out there that is dairy free. It's not insanely expensive. I can even find chocolate that is dairy free.

Yes it sucks but I can move forward and hopefully feel better.

White Dove
on 9/4/20 10:57 am - Warren, OH

Allergy testing is a good idea. Then you will know what to avoid.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 9/4/20 10:09 pm, edited 9/4/20 3:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 4, 2020 at 3:41 PM Pacific Time, Melody P. wrote:

I?m curious as to what some of y?alls experiences with allergy testing was like?

I?ve come to realize I can?t have dairy. It isn?t just lactose intolerance. I get insanely itchy, cough and have a sore throat when I have anything with it in it. My mouth gets a rash around it and I usually have a very upset stomach. Looking back I think I most likely didn?t need a revision...betting it was milk as I was having 2-3 shakes a day and yogurt a lot.

I was upset for a long time about it. I love milk based products...esp cheese...whaaaaaaa! But I found some plant based stuff that is ?ok?. I found plant based butter stuff. I have yet to find a yogurt I love that is healthy, they are loaded with sugar.

I?m going to ask my doctor for some kind of allergy testing. I?m lucky that there is so much out there that is dairy free. It?s not insanely expensive. I can even find chocolate that is dairy free.

Yes it sucks but I can move forward and hopefully feel better.

I was tested for food allergies and found out I have none which I was glad to hear since my mom was severely allergic to many foods.
it was painless and Quick

edited to add it cost $900.00 for the testing so I waited till one year when my deductible and out of pocket mX were met so insurance paid 100%.

Queen JB
on 9/5/20 4:31 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I did a few of those scratch tests for food allergies. Uncomfortable but not awful.

But honestly--it sounds like you already know, so it's probably not necessary to get tested, unless you continue to have unexplained reactions after you cut dairy completely out, and you need to find out if there is something else.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

momyshaver
on 9/6/20 10:40 am
VSG on 06/28/17

You sound informed and I do hope that if you decide to have the testing it offers you whatever information you hope to use to make choices going forward. I know avoiding casein and hidden dairy is difficult at times but you seem aware of the challenges. I do hope that it goes well. Come back and let us know what you find out?

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 430 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 290 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 162 views
Recent Topics