Ferritin / Iron / Hemoglobin Levels

hollykim
on 2/9/22 8:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 8, 2022 at 6:21 PM Pacific Time, Utodc wrote:

Hi everybody.

I have been having consistent problems with Ferritin / Iron / Hemoglobin Levels dropping every 3 months or so.

In few instances Hemoglobin dropped below 5 requiring blood infusions.

In other instances my iron has dropped quickly and I have gotten Iron infusion.

Does anyone else experience this?

The doctors believe I have GI bleed but repeated testing has found no bleed.

Can this be purely about Iron absorption?

yes,it is actually about iron malabsorption.we just can't absorb iron orally. i did have to have one blood transfusion and after that my hematologis****ches my labs very carefully. I have to have an iron infusion about every two years.

beechie46
on 2/11/22 12:10 pm

I didn't have any problems, I'm 9 in a half years out from my RNY. Then the last 6 months I had my iron go down. My Dr. told me to take iron,,with no amount said...I called her up and she told me to take Flintstone vitamins. I finally got an answer back and I was told to take Prenatal vitamins with a C added. I also had to take 45g of iron over the counter. It came right up, but I still take an iron supplement and vit C. I'm sure that your iron is lower than mine for sure. It is real scary for me. I have my Bloodwork done every 6 months now. Down from having it done ever 3 months. I also can go 3 months seeing her now. It is lots better than every month. I go back so often due to having pain medication. They crack down on the ones that have it legitimately and test us often due to the drug users. So the medical board presses the ones that need it the most. It is not us that are abusing the drugs. That is another story and I'm sure boring to most of us. I thank goodness that I can get it due to the Drugs that are used for recreation. Hush my mouth, enough said!!

sweetpotato1959
on 2/14/22 12:08 pm, edited 2/14/22 4:08 am

beechie, The prenatal is making the other iron absorb. it contains the intrinsic factor and all else including C, needed for absorption of iron..I know that pain.It is not boring. It is frustrating to jump thru the hoops and do everything and still be refused medication- or it be at such a high price one can not afford to take.... I have a family member, who was suddenly pulled from every pain control measure available legally. we had to search for other things to use.and found one natural that works on neuropathy . it is available thru mail order, capsule, and is not controlled. see book the lost ways.

Rny122719
on 2/12/22 5:26 pm
RNY on 12/27/19

I see a lot of post bariatric surgery patients come in for iron. It can be strictly due to lack of absorption and can be lifelong

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views