What's on your Wednesday Menu?

Grim_Traveller
on 3/15/23 9:46 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Thanks!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Teenie
on 3/15/23 12:36 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I have made Cranberry brisket in the past. I brown the brisket on the grill just to give it a slight char then throw it in the crockpot. Mine does not call for Catalina dressing just dry French onion and cranberry sauce. I could drink the liquid that comes out after it is done it is so good.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

catwoman7
on 3/15/23 4:24 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Mornin' All!

well MIL was indeed diagnosed with congestive heart failure. I knew it. I was over at the hospital pretty much all day yesterday and was able to calm her down a bit, reminding her that CHF is not a death sentence, people can live for years with that, they'll probably prescribe diuretics and have her star****ching her sodium intake, (finally) managing her stress, etc. Well then after I went home, DH called from the road (on his way home from work) telling me he was going to pick me up and we'd be going back to the hospital, because his mother called him and said she some horrible news and wanted both of us to come to the hospital (she had a CT scan and EKG after I left). We had no idea what was going on. Well, they found an aneurysm near where her pulmonary artery is connected to her heart. It's completely "fixable", but it will involve open heart surgery. They can get her in next week (evidently it's not an emergency at this point). It would mean a week at the hospital, then three weeks in a subacute unit, then home. About six weeks before she can resume normal function, probably three months before she felt like herself again. Plus since she has COPD and occasionally shortness of breath (which also could be due to the fact she has general anxiety disorder too, I suppose), the surgical team is going to meet this morning to discuss how to best do this, and then meet with her afterward to explain what would be going on. She was REALLY upset. She said she just felt like dying then and there. But I think we managed to calm her down (although she may have freaked out again after we left - in fact, I'm sure of it). Obviously, I'm not her and have never been in that particular situation, but I can understand where she's coming from. She kept saying she was worried about this surgery because of her age and her other health issues - she wasn't sure what to do Although I did check Dr. Google and the mortality rate of open heart surgery is 3-4%, which is better than I thought - although yes, she'll be at higher risk because of her age and health status. But still, I think I would rather risk dying on the operating table than walking around with some time bomb that could explode and kill me at any time - in my apt - while walking down the cookie aisle at Kroger - while driving my car on the interstate. No thanks. Given the choice, I'd take the surgery. Plus there's an excellent chance she WON'T die on the table. But yes - that is a very long and probably hard recovery - I'd be upset about that, too. But what can you do?

today I have to take my mother to get her taxes done, and then back to the hospital since MIL will be discharged sometime today. I'm also supposed to meet a friend for dinner, but I may postpone that depending on what happens today. I'm still hopelessly behind on everything, but that's the way it goes.

QOTD: none. The only thing stuck in my head right now is all this stuff going on with my MIL. I don't think we'll be going to Europe in July after all, but we'll see. She may be fully recovered by then, but I would still feel really uncomfortable leaving the country. Thank God this didn't happen in July while we were away and inaccessible.

B: skyr with fruit compote, coffee with half & half

MS: protein shake

L: my mother's tax appt is at 12:30, and then I'll be dropping her back at her apt and heading to the hospital, so I'll probably just take a couple of protein bars along with me

MS: ditto (since I'll most likely be at MIL's apt)

D: ?? if I end up meeting my friend for dinner, we'll be at a Middle Eastern place. Maybe a chicken kabob/pita sandwich or a chicken kabob over hummus? If I'm at home, not sure. Something quick

Oh - Grim - believe it or not, there are several styles of these online. You can find virtually anything these days!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/23 4:47 am
RNY on 01/24/23

Thoughts with your MIL! Doesn't sound fun but agree with you. I remember people on TV being scared of dying in operation but I think it would be the ideal time and environment to go haha I shouldn't joke about the topic but I do truly believe it!

catwoman7
on 3/15/23 5:06 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I totally agree! I think dying on an operating table would be one of the easiest ways to "go". You'd never be aware of it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/15/23 4:53 am, edited 3/14/23 9:53 pm

Ouch. Between your mother and your MIL, your hands and mind are full.

Hugs and best wishes.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

catwoman7
on 3/15/23 5:06 am
RNY on 06/03/15

thanks...

Partlypollyanna
on 3/15/23 5:15 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I hope the medical team is able to get your MIL comfortable with whatever treatment path she chooses. I know you had been looking at long term facilites with her, do you think she will move into one at the end of her recovery or is she still not convinced?

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

catwoman7
on 3/15/23 6:23 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I think she would probably go if we're thinking she needs to. Plus i know she's really worried about her health - esp now - she'd probably feel better if someone else was around all the time. It's my mother who's going to be a really hard sell (i.e., when the time comes). That's the one I'm really dreading...

Emiepie
on 3/15/23 6:06 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Wow, that diagnosis does sound scary. I hike today you all get a good plan in place and that she can be on the road to feeling better soon.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views