Decisions Decisions

biglm
on 5/17/23 5:19 pm

Hi everyone, I am in a real dilemma and am hoping that someone out there who has had or is currently in a similar situation can help. I am well into the process for the sleeve. I just had my appointment with my surgeon today and he told me that he would not be able to do the surgery because I have a hiatal hernia and to much of my stomach is pushing up and having the sleeve and fixing the hernia is not ideal. However fixing the hernia and having gastric bypass at the same time is an option or just fixing the hernia and waiting 6 months and than have whatever surgery I want.

In 2005 I had lap band and had a real good run for 18 years. I went in at 345 lbs and got down to 215 and maintained that weight for years. Than my band slipped and was taken out at the surgeon's recommendation. So since having the band removed I have gained a significant amount of weight back. I'm not scared of surgery but I am scared of the possible long term risks that can happen. I never had nor till this day at 41 have had any health problems but just being overweight. I am asking for any input in this matter.

White Dove
on 5/18/23 7:24 am - Warren, OH

You do not want to add a sleeve to hiatal hernia. Even if they repair it, you will almost certainly end up with so much reflux that they will have to convert the sleeve to RNY. The sleeve causes reflux and hiatial hernia in people who do not have it to start out.

You have a wise surgeon and I hope you listen to him and get the surgery that will help you the most.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

biglm
on 5/20/23 10:04 pm

Thank you for your input.

Sheila_H
on 5/18/23 7:59 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

I am curious: what long term risks are you worried about?
I had the RNY surgery almost 6 years ago. Best thing I could have done for my health. The only thing I'm on are multi vitamins and calcium supplements.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

biglm
on 5/20/23 10:16 pm

The risks that come with it such as gallstones, leakage, perforation of the intestines and so on. I had lap band in 2005 lost a significant amount of weight and maintained that weight for years. In September of 22 I had to have the band removed because of a slippage and severe GERD. After the band removal I still had heartburn but no food was coming up or out of my nose. Went for a barium swallow again and was told I had the hiatal hernia which is a risk from lap band unbeknownst to me.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/18/23 8:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think there are more long term risks from VSG than RNY. Acid is a major side effect. After a band, acid and VSG are a bigger deal. A very high percentage of VSGers end up revising to RNY because of acid. In that event, you are looking at hernia repair now, VSG in 6 months, and RNY a couple of years later. I'd just do the hernia repair and RNY now, and be done.

I'm 11 years out from RNY. I'm down 245 pounds from my high weight, diabetes is gone, I'm off all meds. I take my vitamins. No side effects. I live and eat like a normal non obese person.

That's my 2 cents.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

biglm
on 5/20/23 10:22 pm

Thank you for your input and congrats on your success. Exactly what your are saying is exactly what the experts are saying and many others as well. I just pray if I choose to do it that can do both and not just repair the hernia. Without looking the surgeon is 80% sure that he could do it.

catwoman7
on 5/18/23 4:44 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

Long-terms risks with either of these surgeries are pretty rare. But as others have said, given the hernia issue, I'd probably be considering bypass. I had mine eight years ago and have been very happy with it - no problems at all.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?