Need Some Serious Answers

JAD
on 1/14/07 1:19 pm
My wife is 10 months post-op RNY. Her starting weight was 242. She has lost only 50 lbs. since then and of that, 10 lbs in November and none since then. She has already tried everything suggested for plateauing: changing exercise, protein intake, water consumption, carbs, etc. She has tried to break out of the 'starvation mode' if that is what is happening in her body. She never has lost weight in the manner that almost everyone else undergoing gastric bypass seems to have and now the loss appears to have halted altogether. At this point she should have lost at least 65 lbs and be on track to lose a total of 90 by September. We don't know what else could be causing her not to lose. Has anyone ever heard of people that just don't seem to lose the weight after RNY? I need some real anwers, please! She is becoming very depressed and is losing hope. Her doctor just says "Have patience. It will happen", but how long is she supposed to wait? Any NEW information would be much appreciated.
MAG
on 3/28/07 10:54 pm - Florence, KY
I personally would write down EVERYTHING I ate and drank (and how much) and take it to the nutritionist she saw prior to the WLS and see what she thinks. The dietitian may have more helpful info than the doc. Also, since she is a "light weight" to start the loss will definitely be slower. From what I understand the calories should be around 1000 a day, protein at LEAST 60 grams and at LEAST 60 ounces of water. Her nutritionist should have given her specific numbers for her height and weight that are probably higher than that. If you are members of a gym, she should meet with her personal trainer and ask about her plateau. If she has added weight training within the last couple of months she may not lose as she is gaining muscle. (If the scale stays the same, but clothes fit better, she is still doing OK. ) I think we ALL know how frustrating this is! "have patience" would get on my nerves to since I am not at all patient! LOL! At some point though she is going to have to get off the scale and just enjoy life. I can't WAIT to be able to ride a bike around with the kiddos again! (Even @ 200 lbs.) You are a great hubby and that will help more than anything. Love, Melanie g.
Most Active
Recent Topics
TESTING
DonaldDuck · 0 replies · 5264 views
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 5950 views
Not a lot of support happening here.
JLS_NJ · 2 replies · 7145 views
No One posts here...
luvmyhubby55 · 1 replies · 6890 views
help needed
konieckursu · 0 replies · 6929 views