How to be a good wife?

dustmouse
on 6/16/10 12:27 pm - Houston, TX
My husband had GVS surgery yesterday.  He is committed but uninformed.  He did very little research and very litle preparation.  Unfortunately, he has had kidney and breathing complications since the surgery and is currently in ICU.  My question is...once we get home, what's the best way to help him be successful.  I don't want to be a nag, but I want to make sure he gets all the things he needs and does all the things he should. 

Any thoughts?
Cheryl.P
on 6/19/11 9:44 pm - Philadelphia, PA
i would suggest that you find out his diet plan .
go home and clean out the kitchen of all the no no foods. throw them away or donate to a food cupboard.

buy some  small plates ( saucer sized.)
baby spoons He will have to eat slowly
an insulated lunch bag HE will probably have to carry his own food for a while.
he will need some reusable ice packe to go with that.
look up recipe websites to learn how to cook for the surgery patient.
start buying the vitamins as they go on sale.

some helpful websites
www.bariatrictv.com  you can find the older topics on the episode list
www.youtube.com  just search the type of wls you need
www.rjsdadrecipes.blogspot.com
www.bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com

good luck. maybe you could find and attend a local support group together. some also have support for supporters and family.

tluveor
on 8/8/10 2:12 pm
First let me say I'm sorry to hear of the complications.  That must be hard on both of you.

I had the RNY June 28. My fiancee has been wonderful!!  He has literally found recipes that he could cook and enjoy that were for bariatric surgery patients so we could enjoy eating the same or similar foods. That has been most helpful for me and has greatly contributed to me being able to follow the weight loss plan. 

Help him find foods that he likes and are on the plan. And be patient with him.  There are a few ups and downs emotionally as the body adjusts to the surgery and new gastric system.  Having love and support is Wonderful!!!

I hope his recovery is quick and I'll be praying for you both.
Every journey begins with a step.    
Highest weight 276 - Starting weight 275 - surgery weight 256        
Most Active
Recent Topics
TESTING
DonaldDuck · 0 replies · 5263 views
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 5948 views
Not a lot of support happening here.
JLS_NJ · 2 replies · 7143 views
No One posts here...
luvmyhubby55 · 1 replies · 6888 views