Anyone have trouble healing?

SeraW
on 5/26/06 12:09 am - Des Moines, IA
This is a strange question but I've never had anyone to really ask before, figure it's worth a shot here. I have 9 small tattoos total, 3 of which I got before having gastric bypass and the rest after. I also have a few facial and body piercings. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed they are more prone to infection after they had surgery? I never had any problems with tattoos/piercings healing before my operation, but after surgery I lost 2 piercings to infection/rejection, had a severe infection occur on the 3 tattoos on my foot (supposedly staph or strep bacteria but not sure how it got in there to begin with because I went to a shop with a good reputation, and I take very good care of my tattoos...) I've had teeth wind up with infections after dental work a couple of times post-op, and my most recent tattoo on my ankle had issues with swelling and very thick scabbing vs. the smaller scabs I've always had in the past with new tattoos. I was given antibiotics just in case for it, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't infected, but rather I was having some sort of allergic reaction or hypersensitivity, because the tattoo finally healed fine but the flesh around it is still discolored, I think possibly because my blood vessels were damaged by the swelling. Aside from the swelling I had no other symptoms of infection (pus, pain, redness that grew, fever, none of that). My vitamin intake is not perfect, but I have my blood tested often and always meet the minimum requirements of B12 and iron and such. I've always been somewhat sickly (catch colds easily, etc) but I never had problems with wounds healing before. My gastric bypass was in March of 2003 and was open, I had no complications. I also had my gallbladder removed in July of 2005 and recovered from that just fine. I don't know if there's any relationship between the WLS and my new found difficulties with body mods healing... so I figured I'd ask if anyone knows anything from a medical stand point, or if anyone has had similar experiences. Maybe it's just bad luck, maybe it's something else wrong with me... but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks to anyone *****ads and replies!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Tattooed: share your story?
Bette B. · 0 replies · 981 views
Nervous
ElizabethAshleigh · 1 replies · 471 views
NEW TATTOOED CHICKEY!!!!
Dollface-1981 · 4 replies · 649 views
Medical Alert Tattoo
Cocobean · 0 replies · 503 views