How many? (4 questions,answer anyones you want)

Amy W.
on 3/3/04 3:13 pm - Buckeye, AZ
How many of you have parents that are OK with your decision to have weightloss surgery? Are they totally against it?! What type of weightloss surgery do you want?!(RNY,DS,LapBand,etc...) Why do you want that specific one?!
Ncriado
on 3/4/04 10:57 pm - Baltimore, MD
Hey Amy, When I first brought up the topic my mom was completely against it. But come to find out if was because she was totally MISINFORMED! She thought i would be sick and have diarrhea everyday for the rest of my life! (and she is an RN mind you). I made a consult appt. on my own and told her she could either come or I would be going alone. She came and it was actually a woman in the waiting room who had the surgery 8 months before that I think pushed her into being ok with it. Once she heard the wonderfuly stories about how happy they were and what they could eat and such she was OK with it. I actually went to see another surgeon who did Lap RNY, which is who I went with and he had an entire powerpoint presentation for her to watch. Once I told them I was having surgery they were behind me 100%. I couldn't have done it without them in the beginning. Although I still wish I had some friends who had surgery, I never had anyone to talk to or compare eating habits etc. with. My family still doesn't "really know" exactly the type of diet I follow. I had Laparoscopic RNY on May 12, 2003. I've lost 110 pounds since and still losing :D ~Natalie 269/159/130-140
Amy W.
on 3/5/04 5:38 am - Buckeye, AZ
WOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!! congrats on your weightloss!!!!!!!
briddlelucia
on 3/8/04 4:22 am - Studio City, CA
Im not really a teen but I still cannot be on the same level as a 40yr. with children... so anyways.... My mother at first was stunned I would want to do anything so dramatic. but one year of diet and exercise ( and I mean hardcore) with minimal weight loss plus one year of weight loss medication with my primary care supervising she (my mom) was okay with the idea of surgery especially after a surgeon friend of hers talked to her about it. Her concern is based mainly on all the news tv shows like dateline or 20/20 that show bariatric surgery gone wrong.
briddlelucia
on 3/8/04 4:23 am - Studio City, CA
oh I forgot to add that I'm having surgery in one week.... and I will be having a Lap RNY proximal... and Im happy because that's what i wanted
Amy W.
on 3/8/04 10:37 am - Buckeye, AZ
what does proximal mean??????????!
briddlelucia
on 3/8/04 12:52 pm - Studio City, CA
briddlelucia
on 3/8/04 12:57 pm - Studio City, CA
actually I found a better kickass site that has better pictures of different types of gastric bypass DS and other surgeries for weight loss http://aboutmso.com/pp/pp-gastricbypass.cfm
savetheclowns
on 3/16/04 1:40 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey! Well my mom was totally against me having the surgery when i first talked to her about it. The funny thing is she had the surgery 11 years ago. After we met with my surgeon she felt much better about it, and even though she was against it at first she sadi she would support me either way. But ne way im having a proximal lap rny on May 24.
Most Active