Question

Lee R.
on 5/24/04 1:27 pm - Dothan, AL
Hi, I'm new to the board. I was just wondering if since most of you are younger (I'm 18), do you think it is easier dealing with the surgery? I keep having people tell me that because I am young and relatively healthier than the people who are in their 40's or 50's that I most likely will not have the same set of problems that most people will. I realize that no matter what, it is a new lifestyle and there will be problems as with any major surgery. I just was wondering if the ones of you who have had surgery think you did not have the major problems associate with the surgery. BTW, I'm waiting on my insurance approval and I have read a lot of the postings here and find that this is a great support group via- the internet. Thanks for your time!
Shannon_Lee
on 5/24/04 1:35 pm - Westminster, CA
Hey Lee, Welcome to the board nice to have ya here ...I haven't had the surgery yet, I have a date tentatively scheduled for September as long as I can lose 30 lbs by then..let me tell u...start trying to lose the weight now because if ur surgeon wants it just makes things take more time...I wish you all the luck in the world for ur insurance approval..if you have aim you can find me at TigersPinkin...talk to you soon and good luck Shannon
Ncriado
on 5/24/04 3:41 pm - Baltimore, MD
What kinds of "problems" are you talking about? Comorbidities? If you have them you will have them now, not afterwards. I was 19 when I had my RNY. Problems-none for awhile. Had an internal hernia and needed my gallbladder removed 9 months later. Now have some problems, possibly irritable bowel syndrome. I can eat anything I want, I don't dump and at one year out, can eat normal portion sizes and can push the envelope when I want to. This is NOT surgery on the brain. I wish I got more psychological help before and during my surgery journey. After losing 100 pounds I am still addicted to food and need to address that MENTAL addiction or else the physical limitations of surgery will not help. Natalie
Lee R.
on 5/25/04 7:44 am - Dothan, AL
thanks for the answers. I hope that things get better Natalie with the eating problems you are having. I hope that if I do get to have the surgery I do get dumping syndrome.
Most Active