Just thinking...

seasicksquid
on 7/12/04 11:03 am - Madisonville, LA
I've been thinking a lot lately about the causes of obesity, especially among our age group. Are we a product of our parents' bad habits that were transferred to us during childhood, or a product of a society filled with highly processed, high fat and high calorie foods and the pressure to be certain way, leading us to dieting? Is WLS becoming the only real option for losing weight now? It's pretty much proven that dieting does not work long term. As for changing lifestyles, I was part of a childhood obesity beta-program to teach kids about lifestyle changes to lose weight...and despite attempts to simply exercise and trying to eat right, it was just another diet to me. Isn't it amazing that so many of us are here, seeking out WLS? The very fact that we're here says something. We are products of the last 20 years of dieting and "lifestyle changes" gone horribly wrong. But still, we're doing something about it. Cheers to us! I wish that none of us would have to go through this, but we're going to do something about our weight, hopefully building (with the little pouch bellowing out orders to us...we all need a good foreman) new habits that we can pass on to our children, right from the beginning (hopefully that beginning isn't TOO soon for any of us). Anyway, just rambling. What are your thoughts?
lilkim2180
on 7/12/04 12:56 pm - Eastern LI, NY
Lauren... Yes I agree that we are a product of our parents.. My mom and grandma were once obese and now they have had gastric bypass surgery. I think that this was my last and fina option other than death! Amazingly enough... now that I am down 109Lbs....I feel like a whole new person.. and i am soo happy that I did this. My boyfriend has been trying to lose 30 lbs for a couple o months now and he loses 15 and then gains 17 and I see it in him the fustration that I used to have. i think he is fine and doesnt need surgery. he doesnt plan on getting surgery but I guess you have to be ok with your self -KIM -109
Most Active