Typecast once again!

Susan R.
on 5/17/03 7:01 pm - Ames, IA
I am in our community theater's production of "Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?" I play Sister Lee, the nun all the kids are scared of ut really have a heart of gold. I get a solo, "Cookie Cutters". I am looking forward to this surgery because I am getting tired of playing nuns and battleav=xes. Shoot! In this production, I am both. I wanna play parts like Rose in "Gypsy" or Dolly. I can't wait until I finally look the part. Susan, just theater trash
Jill S.
on 6/25/03 12:34 pm - Merrit Island, FL
Oh, don't I know, sister! I always got parts as domestics or low-brow character actor parts (I don't mind, but they're usually related to domestics). I was fortunate enough in high school to have a drama teacher who actually cast talent on her stage (I got to play Dolly in 'The Matchmaker' and she commented I was made for the role) rather than who's parents donated the most, but outside of that it's been frustrating. I'm still young but overweight, and there are absolutely no plays being done around here that I could be cast in (I mean, can you really imagine a fat Gwendolyn or Cecily in 'Importance of Being Ernest?'). I also did Rocky Horror as make-up, costumes, and even assistant directing, and was outright told I was too fat to go onstage in lingerie! Hee-hee, I was the only one available one night when the usual cast walked out and there was a small group of us who knew the parts. Anyway, I feel the pain, and I hope to be able to go back on stage again if I decide to go through with WLS. Meanwhile, keep your chin up, practice your monologues, and I hope your surgery works out.
Tammy E.
on 2/11/04 12:19 am - Clarksville, TN
Hi girls, I use to be really involved with the Community Theater where I use to live. Then I quit trying out because of my weight. I enjoyed it soooooo much. I know how you feel. Hope we can all get back in the groove on the losers side. LOL. Break a Leg! Love, Tammy
msutton8
on 9/9/04 10:11 am - Sioux Falls, SD
Hi Susan, I know /exactly/ what you mean! Maid, nurse, eccentric, yenta, etc.. always joked I could play the nurse in Romeo & Juliet but they'd never cast me as Juliet! I can't WAIT to have my surgery and be seen for my talent and not my hips!
Susan R.
on 9/9/04 1:04 pm - Ames, IA
This past year, I was cast as Sally in "Snoopy"! I had lost almost 100 pounds by this point, was still fat with about 100 to go, but I could keep up, hoof and sing. My doctor and nurse feel that if I didn't lose another pound, I was still a success as I achieved my major goal of being able to do my theater work so much better. Woo-hoo!!
msutton8
on 9/9/04 1:12 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
You Go Girl! Thats great! I'd call that a total success =)
kgartner
on 9/15/04 8:45 pm - Fountain Valley, CA
I LOVED performing But stopped doing theater after the Community "director" told me I had the "chops" and the voice for leads but would never get anything but chorus on his stage until I dropped 100 pounds and wouldn't I rather work backstage anyway. So, I haven't done a play in 10 years and depression has set in (Can your soul actually die from lack of greesepaint?) I hope that by coming to Obesityhelp I am taking the first step to a new life and maybe the role of Guinevere, Eliza or Maria.
Kerri B.
on 11/28/04 12:18 pm - Lawson, MO
I have been really lucky with the parts I have been able to play. I "play" with a dinner theater in Missouri and the owner casts all the shows. He NEVER holds my weight against me. Actually, now I am playing Gwendolyn in "The Odd Couple". Not exactly written for a woman 100 pounds overweight, the part is a lot of fun to play. I am having this surgery (besides for the health reasons) to feel better on stage. I know that I will still be able to act without losing the weight, but I can't wait to be skinny so I don't have to constantly be obsessing about how I look in the costumes on stage!
Susan R.
on 11/29/04 12:30 pm - Ames, IA
Hey, this past year, I broke the mold! After losing almost 100 pounds, I was cast as Sally in "Snoopy! The Musical". Oldest person in the cast playing the youngest. I was even hoofin' and singin'!! Couldn't have done that a year or so ago. Granted I still looked tubby, but I no longer look out of the ordinary. I am determined to learn to tap-dance now. The only costume part we did special for me was allowing me to wear capris instead of shorts. Hey, I am down to an XL in tops, as opposed to 4Xs of last year. It's nice to be able to wear normal sizes again.
Most Active
Recent Topics
TRISTAN at the DISNY CONCERT HALL
karly · 0 replies · 389 views
Dracula parts posted this morning
S W. · 0 replies · 414 views
Audition question:
S W. · 2 replies · 431 views
What's GOOD? I'm new!
Maritza . · 0 replies · 311 views