Diabetics

maxie1
on 1/12/12 12:02 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

How soon after your surgery did your diabetes go away.. I had surgery on June 6th 2011 and I still am a diabetic... it  still runs high and then drops low...   any advice would be appreciated.

susan

susan                                                                                                
moonglo82
on 1/12/12 12:10 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
What kind of food are you eating? Are you exercising? How bad was your diabetes before surgery?

All I know is my husband's diabetes went away pretty much right after surgery, but he had just been diagnosed a few months before, and his blood sugar was just barely within the "high" range.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

maxie1
on 1/12/12 12:13 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

no I have been a diabetic for over 20 years. and was not really controlled.. and with my other medical problems it was time for me to have the surgery... it bounces it can go as high as 320 and then as low as 47.   diet has been pretty good getting in all my protein, could use more help in the water and exercise department... its hard i work all night and sleep during the day.  i just hope the diabetes will eventually get better for me. thanks

susan

susan                                                                                                
HogRider
on 1/12/12 12:25 pm - Jacksonville, FL
The surgery does not cure diabetes for everyone. It has a good success rate but only for around 70%.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
maxie1
on 1/12/12 12:26 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
I guess I'm in the 30 percent huh?
susan                                                                                                
HogRider
on 1/12/12 12:30 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Not necessarily. It may take awhile. My wife just found out she is diabetic. She weighs 120 pounds soaking wet. I weight around 350 with normal sugar level. Hard to believe but true. I wish I could give you better info...but this is a very complex. diabetes runs in my family, but so far I have evaded it. I would think the better you control your carbs and sugars the better off you will be. Are you taking your sugar level to close to eating?
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
maxie1
on 1/12/12 12:37 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
Usually right after supper it is in the 300's   then like last night took my insulin and 3am it was down to 47, and then my fasting when I got up around noon it was 127 .   so now tonight after dinner it was 320 so can't wait to see what it is when I leave here at 3am..   thanks for the advice.. I hope I can at least get off the insulin...
susan                                                                                                
frenchgrapes
on 1/12/12 12:31 pm - TX
I'm sorry to hear it isn't going well for you on the diabetes. I've been off both of my diabetes meds - metformin and byetta - since the day of surgery and my blood sugar has been staying between 78 and 99. I generally stay under 40 grams carbs and eat very low sugar every day too. I was diagnosed as diabetic about three and a half years ago and started having trouble controlling it with meds and diet last summer. Adding the byetta to my meds is one of the things that helped me decide to get the sleeve. Even with insurance, that is a very expensive drug.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
maxie1
on 1/12/12 12:38 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

glad your off your meds I hope my day will come at least be off the insulin shots..

thanks.

susan                                                                                                
frenchgrapes
on 1/12/12 12:41 pm - TX
I hope it comes for you, too, and soon.

CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views