Losing slow?

tanass
on 11/18/12 8:51 am - Kelowna, Canada
VSG on 10/23/12 with

I hear about all those people who drop a ton of weight the first few months. I'm almost a month out (Nov 24th makes a month) and since surgery I've lost 14 pounds (9 pounds pre - opt diet). Would like to hear from those who aren't drop a ton of weight off the bat. Did it increase or should this somewhat be the pace I should I expect over the next few months? I'm still happy with what I've lost just noticed most the posters here are losing a lot more then me especially since I'm starting on the heavier end of things (298 to start). Yes, I do understand everyone loses differently. Just looking for similar situations.

Lovely87
on 11/18/12 9:12 am
VSG on 08/25/12

hey...ill be 3 months post op on the 25th and ive only lost 44lbs, im not exercising and i eat whatever i want but its just a few bites at a time. i feel like im losing slow but i should be exercising and eating better. Do you exercise and eat good?

tanass
on 11/18/12 9:23 am - Kelowna, Canada
VSG on 10/23/12 with

I work out 3/4 x a week, and with my job Im on my feet for 8 + hours a day. I suppose I eat good lol. I drink protein drinks, low fat cottage cheese, sugar free pudding/jell-o, egg whites, chili .. and if I'm super busy at work I munch of a protein bar. and slowly I've been trying almonds and what not. So I eat relatively good I suppose. But I've been over weight my entire life so my body has never really needed to lose weight. So who knows.

Cwuddy
on 11/18/12 9:34 am, edited 11/18/12 9:34 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

My starting weight was ONE pound more than yours and i have to lose 50 lbs MORE than you to get to my goal and i lost REAL slow at the beginning too.  Im not 3 months out until Nov 28th and im down 55 so it did speed up for me.  I did have to get serious though and I started reading all the old posts from vets like Frisco and Elina and learned to really concentrate on making my plan as perfect as i could for maximum weight loss....that meant 600-800 calories, 70-90 grams of protein and keeping carbs below 40 (although i need to keep them closer to 28 in order to lose but that's just me)

You are right that everybody loses differently and it was hard for me not to compare myself so I think it's important to make sure you're doing everything the best way you can then you will know that whatever you're losing is the best that your body can do!  Be proud of every pound you lose no matter how fast or slow you lose it!!

Hope this helps and good luck with your journey!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

AnnieinIA
on 11/18/12 10:02 am
I stick with my program 100% and lose slowly. I know there are others on this site who lose slowly as well as we have had threads about it. Yes, some people lose slowly because they need to "clean up what they are doing". Others just - lose slowly. It is what it is. I can't change my metabolism and so I just accept it and keep on truckin'.

You will do fine. Annie
Cwuddy
on 11/18/12 10:31 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

I'm sorry, I hope my post didn't sound like I was implying that people who lose slow are not sticking to their program...i just meant i wanted to make sure i was being as perfect as possible so that i would know if my slow weight loss was a result of something i was doing or i was just a slow loser.

There are definitely people who lose slower than others no matter what.  Hope i clarified that ok.  enlightened

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

AnnieinIA
on 11/18/12 10:35 am

Oh please don't worry, you didn't offend me at all. I hoped the OP would realize they may need to do something different, as you suggested - or might be a slow loser. If that turns out to be the case, facing the truth can be an important step. 

Its all good - worry not. 

Annie

Jarisaunt
on 11/18/12 12:57 pm - CA
VSG on 08/21/12

I know it is hard, but you really can't compare yourself to other people. EVERYONE has a different journey. Just because you start at what you perceive to be a slow rate (I disagree by the way, 14 pounds in a month is fabulous) doesn't mean it will come off the same way a month from now.

I lost a lot fast, but am now starting to slow down to about 2-3 pounds a week. I am not alarmed, not upset-- this is just the way my body operates.

Be patient and know you've taken the first step toward a healthier, happier life.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/18/12 1:32 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
If you look at my ticker you'll see that I'm not a super speedy loser. (but month 5 is shaping up well - down just over 9#)

Your journey will be unique - just like you. Some months you'll lose more, some less. You may even have the occasional month with no loss at all. BUT - if you do your share of the work (your surgeon already did his share) the trend downward will continue.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

mkate73
on 11/18/12 9:17 pm - NC
VSG on 10/23/12
I'm in almost the same place and have been worried about being a slow loser as well. My surgery was on 10/23 and I've lost 17 pounds in the past month. I was really hoping to lose more by now but at least I am losing! We just have to stay focused, follow our plans, and try not to obsess over the scale. hang in there!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views