Help

Menchi
on 9/20/13 4:22 am
VSG on 09/11/13

Not what one normally talks about but I am so tired and soar from it that I don't have a choice.  I am one week and two days out from surgery an I am so very constipated.  There is something very hard that wants out but can not exit.  I took miralax yesterday and milk of magnesia this morning I think it is having a small effect but I think I am too tired to try again any time soon. The last time left me in tears and my whole body aching.  Anyone have any suggestions to make this any easier? 

claimmaster
on 9/20/13 4:27 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

You could try using a suppository to try and soften it a bit.  I know I had to just bite the bullet a few times.  It gets better, although I still take senna on an off and on basis.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

slatond
on 9/20/13 4:28 am

You will probably get some great advise from the vets...

#1 -- I'd recommend a enema for what ur currently experiencing. (BTDT-- finally resorted to the enema. It is cheap / works quickly)

#2 -- add fiber to your diet so this doesn't happen again. I think I read where lots add Miralax daily. I was further out than you when this occurred for me and I added Fiber gummies.

Good luck!

Menchi
on 9/20/13 4:32 am
VSG on 09/11/13

So are the gummies more affective, do you think then miralax?

slatond
on 9/20/13 4:35 am

Many VSG Dr.'s do NOT recommend gummies of any kind (vitamins or fiber). So you should ask your Dr. if allowed. I think either would be just effective. I just like the VitaFusion Gummies that are all natural and sugar free and don't appear to have any issue from the gummy.

princesswimmer24
on 9/20/13 6:00 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

At this point Mirilax prolly isn't going to help. I would try an enema or suppository. Then do the Mirilax daily. It takes 3 to 4 days sometimes before the mirilax kicks in. The sennacot works good if it's really bad. I was on morphine for 7yrs and sennacot saved my life when things wouldn't move. Just remember not too take too much. Everything except an enema takes time to work, so make sure you are reading the directions. Good Luck and I hope you get some relief soon!!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/20/13 6:09 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Sounds like you may be impacted....which ain't fun at all. You have some surgical gloves and vaseline? You can do it yourself if you aren't squeemish or you can get help...I would rather do it myself personally. But yeah, try the enema route first. Hope you feel better soon. And prevention...miralax, a stool softener, some smooth move tea, fiber...all of that may work. Glycerine suppositories...more good fats in your diet. You will find your groove. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Lmcint01
on 9/20/13 6:23 am

Miralax can take a couple days to work, enema is probably the best option for you.

KathyA999
on 9/20/13 8:24 am

Glycerin.  Either as a suppository or in liquid form (which comes in a little bulb with a tapered applicator, you squeeze the liquid up in there).  It pulls water in from the surrounding tissue and essentially dissolves the hard thing.  Early out, I swear I had a tennis ball stuck in there.  I even went to the ER, but they only recommended OTC stuff, including the glycerin, and that's what did it.  It took a couple applications, it dissolves from the outside in, until the tennis ball gets small enough to come out.

In my case this was caused by pain meds.  I had no pain, really, but took a big gulp of Lortab to get to sleep, a few nights in a row, and there it was.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

AnnaPat
on 9/20/13 10:12 am
Sorry you're having this, so painful! I had a bad experience wih this at 5 1/2 weeks out and I believe it was from a combination of low fluid intake and iron. I'd stepped up the exercise & didn't take in enough water to keep up, add the vitamins & iron and it was awful. Started pounding down water, took Milk of magnesia - not much help and then Dulcolax the next day. It liquified the stuff behind the impacted stuff, still had to go through the pain of passing the hard stuff. Haven't missed my fluids since . I read all the posts about this too looking for advise. Good luck to you
Most Active