Introductions

dancermom2_7
on 1/17/14 11:26 pm - OH

Hello I am new here; my nutritionist has guided me to the online world of weight loss. I am 33(almost 34) a single mom to 7 (yes 7!) amazing kids. I have 4 girls(17,14,13,10) and 3 lil guys(8,6,4 ). After having the kids, I didn’t lose the weight…The most I lost was after my last daughter was born, I was in a size 14.. And of course on top the world. Then came the boys. I was preg. Every 2yrs, so for 6 years I was nursing or pregnant.  This last summer, I took my oldest girls to an amusement park and I didn’t fit the rides, it was so embarrassing. My belly is HUGE. My 14yr old daughter was so upset that I couldn’t ride anything with them… and that’s how where my weight loss journey started. I promised her I would lose weight and we would come back and I would ride with them by Halloween. I went to the Drs for a check-up, cleared to work-out, I was determined. I started my research, and chose to run. I joined a weight-loss 6 week challenge in my area, my starting weight in July was 276. I lost 24lbs in 6 weeks. I stopped eating, cut out fast food, soda, tea, sugar… I went on and did shake 2 times a day and ate breakfast. In October we went back to the amusement park and I rode most of the rides!! I was inspired that my hard work was paying off, but I was often hungry, and still struggled with what to eat. For working out I got up and ran 5-6 days a week, and went to the gym to lift, I wanted to not only lose weight but build muscle. I also consulted a surgeon for weight-loss surgery.  I went back and forth with the idea all summer. It’s a huge deal. I couldn’t decide, I have friends who supported it, and friends who didn’t, and a few who have had it…and I knew someone who had it, but didn’t lose a great deal of weight. Great… I thought... that’s going to be me.  I will be one of the few who fail at something designed to help you achieve. I am working on this negative talk. I have also realized I am the only one who can make this choice, and make it work. I have learned my triggers for eating, and where I have gone wrong. I love to eat while I am doing other tasks… watching TV, on the computer, driving… reading… at my desk, I love food.  (Who doesn’t right?) I was also a grazer, and I was taught to clean my plate… it is so hard to throw my food away!! I was taught clean your plate! This is such a struggle for me, and it seems so simple. I also stress eat. I have done my best to walk away from my old habits; I have learned a few new ones. I love to run. I love to dance, and I love to sing. All of those things make me happy and relieve stress for me.  I have also completed everything the surgeon has asked, I have one visit left with the nutritionist, and all my fees are paid, then it will be submitted to insurance for approval.  I am nervous. I am! I am so afraid of failing, of letting everyone down, but most of all letting myself down. I have such high hopes, and I want to be healthy, I want to play with my kids, to out run my boys, to tie my shoes, to sit up in bed not roll out. I want to be able to look down and realize I have 2 different shoes on, I want to bend down without holding in my breath.  I just want to enjoy life. (Of course I want to look good, but for a chubby me, I am pretty cute as it is ;) So I invite you all to join in with me on this journey I started. I am scared, and nervous, (and hungry). It sure to be a crazy ride, and I promise to provide some much needed comic relief throughout. I am open to ideas, suggestions, hints, tips, tricks etc. I also have a question…what is the one thing you wish you knew before surgery? I am hoping this isn’t like childbirth, how no one really tells you what it’s like to birth a baby. (The pain, the mess, the love) So what’s the one thing you wish you knew before surgery. Thanks for reading… and Kevin if your stalking…I did it-I reached out.

Stephania~

HW 276 GW140  CW248

saravmf
on 1/18/14 4:06 am - Canada
Hello Stephania!! I am 33 (almost 34) and also have 7 kids (aged 5months-12 years old) !!! I am scheduled for surgery Feb 5th. I am 285 now, and hope to be down another 10 by surgery, since I'm doing a 4 week liquid pre-op diet. I too, had all the same reservations and needed to do a lot of positive self-talk to overcome the doubts. What helped me was seeing my best friend go through it first and seeing what works and doesn't work, AND coming on here everyday to read everyone else's struggles/victories and there daily food for ideas. I'm inspired by most of these folks' successes and have been learning to see the surgery as a tool that you need to put to good use or we can fail at even this! (Read the post from today that really speaks to this tool aspect well). Good luck with your journey and I hope to see you often on here!
mkvand
on 1/18/14 8:02 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I just had surgery last week, and the one thing I didn't realize was how much restriction it's possible to have on liquids.  Most people talk about being able to drink without problems and worry there's something wrong.  I'm the opposite.  My surgeon did a very tight sleeve, and with the post op swelling, I have trouble getting in enough liquids and have actually gotten full of half a cup of 98% fat free cream soup--that it took me over half an hour to eat.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

hollykim
on 1/19/14 1:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

welcome to OH and welcome to the wildest ride of your life. Yes, weight loss surgery is just like having a baby,lol. 

GL

dancermom2_7
on 1/20/14 1:11 am - OH

Thank you for the replies so far! I am looking forward to learning all the lingo. I started a liquid diet today.. and so far i have a huge headache. lots of protien, and water...

Most Active