I'm so booooored

mustlovepoodles
on 2/12/14 11:21 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I'm 6 wks post-op VSG.   I had knee arthroscopy a week ago and it was much more involved than my ortho thought it would be. Hence, I will be non-weight-bearing, on crutches for at least another week.  It's been hard for me to use the crutches because I just have no upper body strength at all.  I was finally able to get out of the house Monday...to go to the dentist.   Tuesday the Governor of Georgia declared a state of emergency so nobody's going anywhere. I feel like I've been stuck in my recliner with my let elevated for 7 MONTHS, instead of 7 days.  Thankfully, I do have work to do here but my heart isn't in it. 

I just feel blaaaaah...

Up to now I was doing really well. I was having a hard time getting all my fluids in, so my doctor had me back off on the solids and that improved things. I had energy, I was working out and walking 3-4 days a week. All that is off the table.  Just trying to go upstairs to where all my bathrooms are 6 times a day is exhausting because I can't put weight on my left foot. I tried sitting on the stairs and pulling myself up with my arms. Holy cow! That was a workout all by itself! 

I feel like The Blob. My DH has been wonderful taking care of me and cooking for me. He's not a good cook, but he tries. We're having a lot of the same stuff.  He made some tuna salad that was more like tuna baby food, LOL. I'm not complaining though because at the moment he's doing better than i am.  

When I get up to walk around on my crutches i feel utterly exhausted. I'm feeling all poopy-headed and just not myself.  I know I have to get out of this funk because I have bipolar disorder. I can't just wallow in this. But I feel so isolated and utterly tired.  I'm doing better getting most of my vits and calcium in, but I'm struggling with fluids again.

poo...

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

VSG on 06/12/13

I'm stuck right along with you! Believe me, you are better off in your recliner. I set exactly one foot out the door today to take a photo and that was IT!

As I recall, in the first month-6 weeks I felt like I had pregnancy brain all over again. If you had anesthesia with your arthroscopy, you might still be feeling the effects of that. Keep your fluids up - it will help with alertness.

And, listen to your body! If it says to rest, don't fight it. Rest!

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

mustlovepoodles
on 2/12/14 11:43 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Yeah, I did have general anesthesia.  Come to think of it, I felt pretty out of it after my VSG, too.  I guess I was expecting something different from this surgery.  I really thought I would just bounce back and be normal within a day or so. Heck, my doctor told me i could drive after 2 days! Is he freaking kidding me?  I can't even bathe and dress myself without help!  I'm only taking narcotics at night now, just Tylenol during the day.  I'm wearing this very clunky hip to ankle leg brace that hurts. It keeps my leg straight, which consequently makes my muscles ache from not being able to move my leg around. 

I'm just a mess here...

Oh well. At least we have heat and cable. I can watch the Olympics all day and all night if I want to.  We have plenty of food in the house and my little Bichon is good for a laugh or two.

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

VSG on 06/12/13

What did you have done? I have had multiple surgeries on my left knee and live in a contemporary/split level house, so the stairs and I are old friends. 

You can do in-home strength training pretty easily. Grab cans of food for upper body exercises e.g. shoulders, arms, triceps. This link gives additional ideas: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/exercises/no- equipment-strength-training-with-common-household-items.html #b

Feel better soon!

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

mustlovepoodles
on 2/13/14 12:28 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I had a complex meniscus tear repaired, plus arthritis areas on the bone ends and behind the kneecap smoothed down. The surgeon also performed micro-fractures (poking holed in the bone ends to promote the formation of a strengthening patch).  Due to the micro fractures, I can't bear weight for 2 weeks, minimum, and I have heard it can go as high as 6 weeks or more.  I hope not!  I will go out of my mind!  The meniscus in my other knee is also torn but not as badly as this one.  Unfortunately, all this crutch walking is putting tremendous pressure on that one knee now. 

We live in a split level home.  There is a set of stairs up to the beds and baths, and a set of stairs down to the basement and laundry.  There is a short set and a long set of stairs to get down to the driveway.  When we bought this house we were young and only had one child.  In the past several years, it has become abundantly clear that we need to move. Of course, since the market tanked in 2008 we've lost a LOT of equity and we're trying to wait for the market to improve. Still, this is not a house for us to retire to. Even if we have to sell it to get out from under it and move into a rental, as long as it's a one level house I'll be happy.

mkvand
on 2/12/14 9:14 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Sit on the stairs with your bad leg straight out.  Use your good leg to push up the steps.  It's way strong than your arms.  Keep your ands on the step you're on for balance.  Also, have you considered moving to a flat house?  That's what I ended up doing.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

mustlovepoodles
on 2/12/14 11:52 pm
VSG on 12/31/13
On February 13, 2014 at 5:14 AM Pacific Time, mkvand wrote:

Sit on the stairs with your bad leg straight out.  Use your good leg to push up the steps.  It's way strong than your arms.  Keep your ands on the step you're on for balance.  Also, have you considered moving to a flat house?  That's what I ended up doing.

Yeah, I tried it that way.  Extremely difficult. Thank goodness my DH is here to help!  And yes, we are planning to move to a single level house, or at least a house with the master on main.  Right now we're not ready to sell and it takes a while to find such a house in our area because the terrain is such that most homes cannot be built as a step-less ranch. Of course, we could always move to Florida, LOL. 

mkvand
on 2/13/14 5:40 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I totally understand.  I ended up turing my townhouse into a rental because I couldn't make any money selling it, then getting a manufactured home because the bank wouldn't approve me for a mortgage on a new place (trailers in parks are vehicle loans, not mortgages) since my old place hadn't been rented out long enough for them to count the rental income.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

Rustywhy
on 2/13/14 1:31 am

I so feel your pain!  I am three weeks out from surgery and slipped on the ice last week and broke my right ankle.  I am also on crutches, can't bear weight and also can't drive.  I am going completely crazy right now.  I will say the crutches do give me a workout getting around, but that is the only thing positive I have to say about this.  I don't go back to my ortho for three more weeks, then hopefully will get a less restrictive brace.  Hope you get the go ahead to bear weight next week!  Just my thoughts, the narcotic pain meds could be causing your "poopy-headedness".  Whenever I take them even one time, it seems like it is days before they are aout of my system, and I just feel dopey until they are gone.  Good luck and chin up!

5' 9"  HW 288 (8/15/13)  Pre-Op loss - 31 SW 257 (1/21/14)  M1-21  M2-12 M3-13 M4-?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views