Question about Pre-Op diet

Wanda1118
on 7/6/14 12:25 pm
VSG on 07/09/14

As some of you know my surgery is scheduled for Wednesday. The question I have is..my surgeon's nurse said I could eat during my pre-op diet phase as long as I don't go over 1500 calories a day. I stay well below that. I have lost about 12 pounds by eating soups, lean cuisines and drinking fruited water..at this late date I am now worried if what I have done will help to shrink my liver? When I went in to the hospital Friday for my pre op labs I told the nurse there and she didn't seem to think it was all that bad. Has anyone else done this? All feed back on this is appreciated...thanks!

-Flo-
on 7/6/14 1:27 pm
DS on 04/11/16

12 lbs is great! I think you got a case of pre op jitters. I'm sure your liver will be just fine. You went below the calorie requirement that the nurse gave you. Take a nice deep breath. And good luck!

Wanda1118
on 7/6/14 7:42 pm
VSG on 07/09/14

Your right about that Flo. I have had pre op jitters for days now...some days are better than others lol. . Thanks for the encouragement, I need it!

hawkeye_kate
on 7/6/14 2:38 pm

My pre op diet had me eating until the night before my surgery.  I questioned this with the nurse because I see so many people on here having to do a all liquid diet.  They told me they didn't feel it was necessary and didn't want me to be malnourished going into the surgery.  I was just not allowed to eat Bread, Pasta or rice.  Everything else (as long as low-fat and lean) was acceptable.  My surgeon also told me that the pre op diet isn't necessarily to shrink your liver (as that would take much longer then 2 weeks) but more to soften the liver.  This is so it is pliable and they can move it out of the way for surgery.  I just had my surgery last Monday (June 30th) and everything went great.  I did have a little discomfort around my liver the following (like it was bruised) and the doc told me it was because he puts a retractor on the liver to hold it back-perfectly normal side effect!! 

Good luck on Wednesday!! 

~Kate~

HW: 316.5, SW: 293.0, CW: 227.0, GW: 170

Wanda1118
on 7/6/14 7:37 pm
VSG on 07/09/14

Thank you so much Kate...after reading all these posts I was starting to get really nervous thinking she may have screwed up. I can certainly rest easier knowing it's going to be ok.

Jaime P.
on 7/7/14 11:05 am
VSG on 07/22/14

Mine is ff/sf liquids, protein shakes and one meal of lean meat and veggies a day until the day before surgery. They used to require all liquids (I had to do that with my band at the same place 6 years ago) but he said people weren't doing well with all liquids and the new diet works just as well. I start mine tomorrow.

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

Wanda1118
on 7/7/14 11:48 am
VSG on 07/09/14

Good Luck to you Jaime...you can do it!

Jaime P.
on 7/7/14 11:51 am
VSG on 07/22/14

Thanks Wanda! It's going to be a bit hard tomorrow since I'm flying home from vacation but I'll follow it for the most part. I didn't have a surgery date until I already left for vacation so I'm not really ready at home either. One day won't kill me thougg. It may just be 13 days instead of 14.

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

Most Active