Regained almost all my weight

Carlita
on 4/27/11 7:31 am - N.F., PA
I'm embarrassed and ashamed, but I must try to do something about this.  Has anyone regained a lot or most of their weight and had any success at losng again?  I had GBP in September 2003, and did very well the first few years.  I was 45 then, and am 53 now, and starting menopause.  I feel this is a major contributor to my problems, but I also do not eat properly and very much the way I did pre-op.  Can anyone offer support and advice?  I guess I just don't know where to begin, and I feel very alone.  It's pretty embarrassing to have already tried "everything" including WLS, and still to have failed!

Mrs Chez
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/27/11 9:49 am
Just start all over. Hopefully you still have your doc support and still have the tool - the pouch.
Start again the program. Start journaling the food and drinks. Begin with protein first, then add some veggies.
Try to limit carbs and grazing. No drinking with food, and no soft drinks.
Try not to drink your calories.
Decide on the plan, i.e. 1000-1200 cal per day with most of it coming from dense proteins + veggies. Add some exercises.

Drink water 64-100 oz per day. 
And add exercise.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Carlita
on 4/29/11 11:30 pm - N.F., PA
I'm not so sure about the doctor support thing.  It's been several years since I have seen her.  I get my scrips for blood work by emailing her staff, and then they send me the script.  I do manage to keep up with that, and also am good about taking my vitamins as I should.  That's the easy part, huh?  LOL  I think I'm embarrassed to visit my doc, although I'm sure I'm not alone with the regain.  I just wonder how many of us don't see their docs when this has happened, because we're too ashamed that we failed.

Thanks for the reminder about getting back to the basics.  I know what I need to do, but it helps to hear others say it as well.
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/2/11 12:05 am
One way is to email her and ask if she can deternmine if your pouch or stoma are intact.  She may suggest some testing. Once you know your "plumbing" is still OK - you will know you need to get back to basics and they should work. Not as well as the beginning - but good enough to help you get back on track.

But if your  pouch is too big, or the stoma is open more than it should be - then maybe you need to consider revision..

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Carlita
on 5/3/11 5:00 am - N.F., PA
If I can get up my nerve enough to go.  Is there a way we can tell if the pouch is too big?  I guess I thought everyone's got bigger over time, and that this is normal.  But maybe it's not.  I still can't eat as much as I could pre-op, at one sitting, but I can sure graze, and I really feel hungry sometimes when I know I've probably had enough to eat just an hour or so ago.

If the stoma is too big, is there something they can do short of a revision surgery?  I have heard of something called "Stomaphyx" and it's an endoscopic procedure, I believe, but I don't know if any insurances would pay for this.  Anyone hear of this?

Carlita
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/3/11 5:20 am
"Stomaphyx - it is suppose to work - but many people report that it does not.  
 Check the revision board.
I understand the "nerve" thing... but if you could do it on your own before - you would never needed the WLS in the first place... right?
Maybe visit at your doc would be a motivation for you to really go back to basics? 
But if your stoma is large - that would mean that you may need more than just diet and exercise.  Maybe even need a revision to DS?  Not saying that you do... but...

You do not see her anyway now - so what is the worst it would happen? She will be sad that you regained and frustrated... probably in a same way as you are.  But... she may be be able to help you.  You never know.
After all - you are the client and she is a doc - who is suppose to be there for you. 

Carlita
on 5/3/11 7:04 pm - N.F., PA
You are very right about the client/doc relationship.  And I do believe that this doc is a good one, or I wouldn't have picked her in the first place.  She's very strict and disciplined, as a lot of good doctors are!  I guess that's what has me nervous about seeing her.  I have an email address for the nurse who I do contact for my blood work scripts, and I think I'll start with her and give her my recent "story."  Then I'll see what she thinks my doc would want me to do.

Thanks again for the care and support.
Charon H.
on 4/27/11 10:54 am - Abilene, TX
Honey, we are in the same boat. My RNY was done in 2003 & I too am learning how to deal with a menopausal body. Have regained 17 lbs & like you, I'm terrified, eating junk, grazing, in fact doing everything I should not be doing. Menopause can only take part of the blame. 90% falls squarely on my shoulders. I will make a pact with you to be your support buddy. We both know how to fix this, & more importantly, we can fix this!
Carlita
on 4/29/11 10:59 pm - N.F., PA
Thank you so much for the response and support!  I would like to keep coming back here to check in with all of you ladies.  I know that support does help.  I can't blame anyone but myself, as I kept ignoring my weight gain.  It's just so hard to have to continue to battle this life-long war.
Carlita
on 5/3/11 5:04 am - N.F., PA

I wish I felt positive about being able to do this!  I truly don't.  I keep thinking about what I need to do, but when it comes time to make a decision between eating something sweet and doing the "right" thing, the sweets are still winning the battle.  I can't seem to keep my hands off them and out of my mouth.  It's terrible - sometimes that's all I can think about.  I'm really addicted to these bad foods, and am so afraid to give them up.  Even if I could, how would I be able to avoid them?  They are everywhere we go!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics