Getting a BOB - 9yrs post-op,

heathercross
on 5/8/11 1:56 am - New York, NY
Hi.  I'll be 9 yrs post-op from Open RNY in August, I'm getting banded on June 23rd.  I was 305 pre-RNY, got down to 173 and am now at 246.  I considered a full revision but decided against it as it is MAJOR surgery and I am not willing to take those risks. 

My ct scan and endoscopy show a HUGE pouch and a fully intact stoma. I am using Dr. Marina Kurian in NYC for the Band.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has been banded after bypass.

NOTE:  First let me start by saying that if you have not had a BOB, I'm not really interested in hearing why I should not have a band.  You are not in my shoes, don't know my condition and don't know me.
Carlita
on 5/9/11 6:56 pm - N.F., PA
Hi Heather.  I'm sorry, I haven't had a BOB, but am considering it too.  I would love to hear how it goes for you, and I'll keep watching this thread for more info.  I wish you the best with this, and believe me, I totally get why you would want to do it.  My experience is very similar to yours - I'm 8 years out, lost about 100, and have gained back 60.  I haven't had my pouch/stoma checked out yet, but plan to do that this summer with my surgeon.  I did find out that she doesn't do BOB, but that other docs in their practice do it.  She requires that I have tests to determine pouch size and stoma being intact, plus a visit with a nutrititionist.  I also do not wish to have a full revision surgery - just don't want to go through that again.  Best wishes.
heathercross
on 5/15/11 8:11 am - New York, NY
Hi Carlita.  How are you? I got my surgery date last week, June 23rd.  Now, Im reading everything I can get my hands on.  If you see from my profile, I was very active in 2001 and 2002 when I first did this and I was very successful so I hope if I arm myself with the right info, I will be successful again. Add me as a friend, I plan to document EVERYTHING, the good, the bad and the gross!
sweir100
on 5/18/11 1:44 am
Hi Heather, I had a BOB on 4/12/11 and am so happy that I made this decision.  I had my RNY in 1997 and lost 170 lbs and when I went for my first visit with the surgeon last fall I had regained 109 lbs.  I am down 35 lbs and feeling great.  If I only knew back then what I know now I wouldn't have had to have a revision.  It is a good safe option if the bypass is no longer working.  There are less risks with the band than some of the other surgeries.  I wish you the best of luck and look forward to talking with you again.
Most Active
Recent Topics