Ulcer at the Anastomosis

~~Melissa S~~
on 6/30/11 9:26 am - El Paso, TX
Hi All,

Have not posted in a long time.

I started having stomach pain several weeks ago right below my breast bone.  I was having a hard time getting foods in and keeping them down. 

Had a EDG done on Monday and I have a ulcer at the anastomosis, my original surgery was in 2004 and in 2009 I had developed three large fistulas and had to have a revision.  Now my surgeon has told me that a ulcer at the anastomosis could likely require another surgery due to scaring once the ulcer heals, she said it would be unlikely that they could just dialate it.

Has anyone else had this expierence or something similar?

Thanks,
Melissa
Kattin
on 6/30/11 3:28 pm - WA
Hi!
 Haven't had this, but my heart goes out to you. Hope once they fix this that no more problems & no more surgeries. Not fun to go thru, especially when we had GBS to help our health problems, not do something more.
Take care,
Kathy
Kathy
Proximal Rny Mar. 8th 2007 Dr Oh
Pre Surg. 239,lowest 135 current 162 ,goal 145
5ft 2 in 

~~Melissa S~~
on 7/1/11 1:29 am - El Paso, TX
Thanks for your support!!

cajungirl
on 7/1/11 12:39 am
What meds did they put you on, Melissa?  I'm taking Protonix and Carafate for what appears like ulcer symptoms.  I haven't been scoped, my PCP wants to try these meds first and see what happens. 

I hope the ulcer heals and you don't require another surgery. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

~~Melissa S~~
on 7/1/11 1:28 am - El Paso, TX
Hi,

I am taking Carafate every six hours, they also found a lot of fungus on the ulcer and in the pouch so I am also on Nystatin, and Diflucan to treat the fungus.

I hope yours clears up with out complication.  My doc said that the risk with the ulcer at the anastomosis is that when it heals it will scar and the scar can create a stricture so I am hoping for a simple recovery. 

Good Luck,
Melissa
DailyMae123
on 7/1/11 3:44 am
Fungus? Really?  I've never heard of that.  Is it an infection type thing?

~~Melissa S~~
on 7/1/11 4:04 am - El Paso, TX
Yeah I know it is really strange, it is Candida which we all apparently have but I have a overgrowth, it is the same thing that causes yeast infections but we all have it in our GI tract as well. 

Ugh...lol
DailyMae123
on 7/1/11 10:45 am
oh boy.  Well good luck to you.  I hope it doesn't require surgery.

mkieffer
on 7/5/11 1:52 am - Rapid City, SD
Hi, I haven't been on here for a couple of years now and came on to do some research on a problem I have been having and saw your post. I also have been having severe pain in my stomach and it goes up under my breastbone. I can't eat hardly anything and by evening, I am usually doubled over in pain. I am courious what your symptoms were. I am trying to do some research first like I mentioned before, but I am also to the point I am going to get into the doctor but also wanted to know if others have had issures. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Maryann
 Maryann 
I will go through the valley if YOU want me to

HW SW   CW   GW
280/272/163/150 
Brachioplasty and Breast lift with augmentation May 28, 2008
Tummy Tuck January 26, 2009

~~Melissa S~~
on 7/5/11 4:47 am - El Paso, TX
 Hi Maryann, 

My symtoms are just like yours, lots of pain right below my breast bone, hard time keeping food down, pain keeps me up at night.  I also had pain in my back, kind of like the pain radiated towards the back.  I went to the ER and spent a lot of money on tests and they found nothing it was not until I went to my gastric by-pass surgeon who suspected a ulcer immediately and did a EDG and found the ulcer.  I would suggest you contact your surgeon. 

Keep us posted,
Melissa 
Most Active
Recent Topics