can't believe I'm back

alpal1015
on 3/5/12 2:45 am - Manalapan, NJ
It's been so long since I've been on this website -can't believe I'm back! I had my bypass surgery 41/2 yrs ago. I did well and lost 110 lbs. Now, the weight seems to be creeping back up with a vengeance. I haven't weighed myself because I'm too scared. But I know from the fit (or lack thereof) of my clothes I am way up. To my credit, I have never stopped exercising since my surgery. I run 4 miles and go to the gym religiously. However, my eating is totally out of control! I recently started drinking my protein shakes again, but I am soooo hungry all the time. I can't tell if it's physical or mental. Any tips on getting my pouch working again w/o the extreme of the 5DPT. Also, is anyone else out there experiencing iron deficiency? I've had to have two rounds of iron infusions. Just wondering if it's common.
dawn4511
on 3/5/12 8:57 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Welcome back you have come to the right place to get back on track.
My suggestion would be to increase your protein and reduce your carbs.

Congratulations on keeping up the exercise that is really awesome.

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

Not the Same Dawn
on 3/5/12 10:39 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
Yes. Iron deficiency is a common problem. Are you taking Tender Iron at all? Vitalady is our source on that.

Protein shakes do not stick with you and keep you from getting hungry right away..I would suggest some good dense protein and good roughage like veggies and fruits..stay away from carbs like breads, pasta and rice cuz they make you hungry quickly again.

You're more than welcome to take part in our accountability posts. Post your running and gym time too. With that going on, any bread or white carbs are necessary for energy..

Also, don't just weigh yourself..do your measurements too. The reason I say that is that there was a girl that had her surgery same time as me (coming up on 6 years)..and she's the same size as me. same height and same size jeans..but because she's a body builder, she weighs about 50 pounds more than me..she's solid muscle..still shows as an over weight BMI too..If your clothes are getting tight, that's the best indication that there is slippage going on..
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
alpal1015
on 3/5/12 11:10 pm - Manalapan, NJ
Thanks for the advice. I just feel so out of control. I never thought I would be back in the same boat as I was before surgery. I've even contemplated joining Jenny Craig - something I vowed to never do again. I guess I'm feeling a little desperate and hopeless. I thought the exercise would be a bigger help in maintaining my weight. But, what I really have to do is SHUT MY MOUTH and stop eating - especially the carbs. Everyday I say I'm going to start, and everday I seem to fall off the wagon. I am eating a little better than I was, but still not as good as I should be. I think the accountability posts will be a great asset.
Not the Same Dawn
on 3/6/12 10:27 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
I wouldn't suggest shutting your mouth..vent as much as you need to. Don't feel hopeless..there is always hope..when there is no money, no path and no energy there is still hope..As long as the sun comes up tomorrow you get another chance to do better.

Any amount of moving in the right direction is good. I love an inspirational sign I saw on facebook..No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping those who didn't get off the couch...so you're making only alittle progress.at least it's SOME progress..

Keep after it..You'll get there..

Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
Amy W.
on 3/15/12 3:18 am - Buckeye, AZ
I posted that on my wall too because it was so inspirational to me too! I think about it everyday when I'm walking/jogging!!! 
Pinned Image

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Nonna4
on 3/14/12 11:47 am
 I sooooo feel your pain. I'm 6 years out and have been totally out of control.  None of my clothes are fitting, and I too, never thought I would be here again.  My carb addition is in full swing and controlling me.  But today has been better. I have eaten only protein today, and I feel better. But it's one day, one minute at a time for me. Hang in there!
alpal1015
on 3/14/12 9:25 pm - Manalapan, NJ
 It's good to know I am not alone. This carb addiction is soooo stong. Everyday, I say I am going to be good, and everday I slip up. i did sign up for a special 10 week program starting the end of March. It's an intense bootcamp type of workout with a nutrtional program to follow. It's supposed to be great with lots of support and encouragement. I hope this will be the thing to get me back on track. Good luck to you - sounds like you are on the right track.
Amy W.
on 3/15/12 3:19 am - Buckeye, AZ
I highly suggest keeping a log of everything that goes into your mouth! That's what I'm doing and it REALLY helps! 

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Johanna !
on 3/7/12 3:13 am - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
I recently came back too!! i have gained 30 lbs in the past year - from lousy eating.. I just started to exercise though - oh and I am paying for it too LOL!!  I did the 5DPT - it wasn't so bad and really helped me remember the full feeling.  Also I am doing low carb now that the 5DPT is over.  I have lost 5 lbs and even coming back to work after being out for 5 days a coworker told me I look like I lost a little bit of weight and that mty face seemed thinner!

I really feel better healthwise after being low carb for only 1.5 weeks!!  and I stopped the diet soda too - that was a bad trigger for my... diet soda and chips, and popcorn etc.
Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

Most Active
Recent Topics