Had my surgery 2008, gaining weight

maryja
on 8/23/12 9:58 pm - NS, Canada
I've had an 11 pound gain in the last 6 months and I have not been exercising.  I'm up 16 pounds from my lowest weight and I'm tired of my clothes being tight.  I was a size 6 now I'm a 10 - 12.  I'm sick of this!  Time to start exercising and eating the protein, veg and then the fruit.  I've been eating all kinds of crazy stuff - I'm just not going to let this go any further - enough is enough!

Tomorrow morning I'm back to exercising.  That's it!

MJ
wantstowin2
on 8/26/12 4:06 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Shannon,

I just read your post and I wanted to let you know you're not alone.  I had gastric bypass surgery in December of 2005, lost all my weight, but find myself now grazing and eating sweets.  My only saving grace is that I walk about 5 or 6 miles every day, so I am maintaining my weight nevertheless.  However, I am so afraid that I'm going to gain my weight back and start to lose the lifestyle I have so embraced the past 6 1/2 years that I know I should be cutting out all sweets, at least, and cut out the grazing.  Without grazing, I have 4 or 5 little meals throughout the day and when I do that, I find myself staying away from the bad stuff.  It takes a lot of preparation and fortitude, but I know I can do it.  I love my new life and feel someone has given me a second chance to do it right.  Good luck to you! 

Wantstowin2
DebraZ
on 9/2/12 10:47 pm
Hi Shannon,

I am responding to your post as I too have a similiar situation.  I also had wls in 2008 (May). I have gained just about 30 pounds back since then. 

I never got below 170, and I am right at 197 now.  UGH!  I struggle with snacking, grazing, and just plain eating after I put my 7 year old to bed each night.  My husband is usually asleep while I am grazing, and he doesn't get why I have gained. 

I actually started looking on the web for suggestions to start myself in the right direction again, and this was the first place I clicked. 

I want to encourage you to try and find a way to get moving, and perhaps taper off on the night time eating.  I know, I need to follow my own advice!  I have made it one of my goals to stop eating the 'bad stuff' first, and if I do eat, to limit it to protein.  (Sugar and I have recently become friends again.)

I know that I don't seek out others who have had wls, but there is a support group within an hour's drive from my home, that  meets monthly, that I am going to try to reconnect with.  Have you tried to find a local support group?  When I did go, it really made me think more before I'd nibble.  I'm a bit embarrassed to go back, but...it needs to happen.

Anyway, I just wanted to send a note your way, and just say you aren't alone in this!!!  I don't want to be the fat girl again either! That was definitely a terrible time...

Best wishes on your journey,

Debra
LisaDouglas
on 9/5/12 5:12 am - In The Country , NY
So happy to have stumbled upon this post!! I am in the same situation. Had my open RNY 4 1/2 years ago. Did everything "right", got to my lowest weight, worked out a lot (was laid off at the time so it was "my job"). For the past 3 years been working (only part-time), but I let a lot of my discipline slide. Never work out any more, don't drink enough water ... falling into bad habits. And you guessed it -- gained 30 lbs.!! Now, I still look (and feel) great compared to where I started. But ... I know I can do better. Let's help each other get back to basics. Maria
terry1953
on 9/7/12 8:44 am - O'Fallon, IL
I am feeling the same way as all the other posts. I have bypass surgery in May, 2008, lost all my weight and now I have regained 50 lbs. I look better than I did at 150 but I don't want to weigh what I weigh now. I also need to get back on track. I have lost focus. I snack all the time on the wrong things. As far as my meals, I only ate 3 small meals. I am thankful I can only eat about 1 cup of food at each meal and I do eat the proper foods then. But it is this snacking that is killing me! Any advice from anyone. My main snack food is broken pretzels with dark chocolate chips.
stayinalive
on 9/16/12 9:26 pm
I am in the same boat! So glad I foud this thread on OH. Hope you are doing well.

Tomorrow I am calling my Nutritionist and looking into the "Back on track " meetings at the hospital where I had surgery. I am starting to go up a size and then some. Bad news.
SEXY-KETA
on 9/17/12 6:52 pm - Pennsauken, NJ
Hi Shannon,

I too am in the same situation.  I had surgery March 2007 and the lowest I ever got was 207lbs.  In the past couple of years, I went up to 232lbs and hate it.  Last month I got back on track and have managed to lose 9 of those pounds so I'm down to 223lbs.  So tonight, I find myself back on the forum looking for help.  I too find myself eating sweets, eating chips and pretzels and grazing during the day.  I think my grazing is because I work and can't eat the 5-6 meals a day.  I can barely eat 2 meals a day.  I'm determined to succeed and I know you will as well.

Good luck on your journey!

Laketa
Most Active
Recent Topics