Thyroid Cancer

LadyLBW
on 8/18/12 4:40 pm - TX

I had my RNY done in Sept 2008 and I found out three days ago following a partial thyroidectomy that I have stage 2 Thyroid cancer.  I will have a second thyroidectomy to remove the remaining side of my thyroid on Sept 11th then will have the radioactive Iodine treatment at about 6 weeks after that.

Since hearing this I've been on the internet trying to find some answers about how the treatment will affect me after having had the RNY and the information is reaaaallly scarce.  I'm hoping some of the WLS grads might have some insight.

First of all, the low iodine diet that I will have to go on prior to the RAI treatment is really contrary to our post WLS diet.  No eggs, No chicken, No fish ..... so who do I get my required protein?

Secondly, my first thought when the surgeon was explaining what would be taking place next, was how am I supposed to take a radioactive pill when my pouch has a hard time dissolving a tylenol?

And thirdly let me just say that I can without a doubt say that the RNY had nothing whatsoever to do with this diagnosis. (For anyone considering the WLS) I have had thyroid nodules for 15 years and I am just now deciding to do something about it.  If not for the 100 lb weight loss I would be having to deal with high blood pressure, high blood sugar and breathing problems on top of all of this. 

Thanks for listening and any input is appreciated!
Lori

AlaskaArizonaGirl
on 8/21/12 11:03 pm - AK
I have no information to answer any of your questions, but I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I said a prayer for you, hope things will get better
LadyLBW
on 8/24/12 2:20 pm - TX
Thank you so much, that was really sweet. :) 

My RNY Dr (Dr Davidson) called me today and answered my questions so I thought I'd share in case anyone else ever has to face this.

#1 The I131 RAI pill is safe to take.  It absorbs into tissue rather than intestine so we are safe to take it.

#2 Follow the Endochrinologist's recommendations including the low iodine diet prior to the treatment because it is imparitive that any remaining thyroid tissue be "starved" enough to take up the radioactive iodine so that it will show up in the full body scan. 

#3 Keep taking my suppliments and have them test my iron and calcium levels throughout the process.

I love that about Dr Davidson.  He really cares about what happens to his WLS patients and wants to make sure their overall quality of life has improved.

Thanks again for the kind words and prayers. I really do appreciate it!
Most Active
Recent Topics