WLS ALUMNI ????'S FOR YOU ALL

nmcmanus66
on 1/2/13 12:08 am - CA

I have read so many of your stories to not only prepare for the days following my WLS but the long term ebbs and flows. What I find is that there is an overwhelming % that go back to their pre WLS habits. And there's my concern. I know "me" and I'm so afraid that I too will fall into that trap. Did you go to counseling? Did you go to meetings? What did your doctors advise? Hindsight what would you have done differently?

Carlos Valdez
on 1/2/13 1:13 am - Liverpool, NY

I have had that same concern and I can tell you after 3 months and down 120 pounds it sacred me that I would go right back to my old habits. I did not go to counseling but I can tell you the support groups are a great help. Herring the stories and seeing others like you will help you stay on track. I find that the more weight I lose and the better I feel I get into healthy habits and I never wanna go back to where I once was. Also for me my faith is a huge part of my life so I always have that. But if you're not into that you just have to have the same determination to stay at that weight as you did to have the surgery in the first place. Don't worry so much about going back to the old you just focus on the new you. You're going to do great !!! :)

linda11665
on 1/2/13 8:20 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Like I have said from day one, therapy,therapy,therapy. I am 17 months out and you r still on the "honeymoon" stage and you r still on the high of losing weight. But when that is over, your old demons will come back. Remember we are food addicts, that addiction does not go away. So yes go to group meetings but also go to therapy. Cuz what got you to ore surgery weight will still be there,

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
oceanwoodsangel
on 1/3/13 10:39 am

Had my surgery 2005   I have been able to maintain size 6 . Have noticed in the last 3 years its been more difficult to keep weight down.  Still take all my vitamins 4 times a day and at least two protein drinks a day.  I try to keep to the  protein fruit and vegetable rule.  I don't buy sweets or bad snacks because I'd be tempted to nibble them.

We need to remember, that we got this surgery because we had food addictions.  That won't go away unless we work on it every day.  This surgery is a tool not and end all.  We have to work it.  Yes, you will gain some weight back.  My goal was 130 and I am at about 137-141 at t his point. I am 5 3 inches.  I would like to get back to 120-125 but I don't see that happening.  

I did not go to counselling but have been in support groups. I think that whether you use this site, or any weight support group that it's a good thing.  We need each other and have to be real with ourselves.  We like food, it's our addiction.

Find something else to focus on, and hang with people who support our goals.  It's a daily battle, but I'd do it all over again.  I'm healthy and I look good.

mom41
on 1/4/13 10:41 am

I am approaching 2 years and it has worked well for me. I think it is so important to try and implement the lifestyle changes early on and try not to cheat. I also think a little bit of personal mistrust can be healthy, Dont dwell on it but never get so overconfident of your new body-lifestyle that you dont realize the "old you" is only a few bad decisions away from returning.  I just pray and trust God and realize that it is a lifelong journey to recovery and it is never over. So even if -and please dont let it happen- you did fail you could always make a new change. Never give up.

Meg68
on 1/6/13 10:08 pm
with
My surgery was in AUg 2008. It was not hard to lose the weight. I think that I lost below what I wanted, so my first mistake was starting to eat simple carbs and stopped logging my intake. I didn't mind the first 20 lbs gained because I like my look with curves, BUT what I did was get out of all the good habits, and the bagels just made me hungrier and I would continue to eat more and more calories.

For me.... Being and staying in a routine is the key. I can't allow myself to eat "some"bad stuff as I drop all of my good habits then. Sticking to healthy eating was not hard and I didn't feel deprived when I was doing it.

So I'm back to logging everything and I willbe saying no to all junk. So far so good!
Meg
Meg68
on 1/6/13 10:10 pm
with
Angela Fusillo
on 1/17/13 1:23 pm - Bellflower, CA
RNY on 09/28/93
I have my surgery in 1993, So I have had my shares of ups and downs. I needed to address my food addiction in order to keep the weight I feel most comfortable in. i went to 12-step meetings which helped tremendously. However, they only really work if you go consistently. In all honesty, I need to go back for a tune up. I have gained 15 pounds and I do not want that to turn into 50. My relationship with food is 100% emotional. 6 months ago I had some major life hiccups. I chose to pick up the folk to soothe my angst. The one thing I will say about all of this. There has been growth, As I am going through this I am not in the typical state of panic, self-loathing and desperation. Instead, I know this too shall pass. I will be getting back on the horse and rebooting head and my heart. I am drawing very near to that point, hence this post.
Here's wishing peace and contentment to all who live with this struggle. It is only for today, it is not permanent, it takes patience and faith and I PROMISE it WILL change.

Angela Fusillo
Los Angeles, CA

300-LBS (9/93)....145-LBS (CURRENT WT)....135-LBS(GOAL)...130-LB (LOWEST EVER)

Shelia J.
on 2/24/13 1:12 am - Norfolk, VA

20 years!  My hat is off to you, Angela!  And you're maintaining very well.  That is awesome, and such an inspiration to all of us.  I'm almost 13 yrs out and struggling with the re-gain demons, one of which is self sabotage.  But I agree 100% with your post, and will be starting support group meetings (for the first time) very soon.

Congrats to you and I will make this my "go to" post when I need encouragement.  Thank you for that :)

Angela Fusillo
on 2/24/13 2:41 am - Bellflower, CA
RNY on 09/28/93
I have had two life issues that caused some regain; the loss of my Mom in 93 and this past yr, lost my job. I went up 20 but am now releasing about 2lb a week of the regain. I know if I totally cleaned up my diet it would happen sooner, but I am not emotionally there yet. I have learned this surgery is just one small tool in our arsenal of weight loss maintenance.WE need to feed and water all three areas in our lived that effect our weight; Mental nourishment, physical hunger and spiritual contentment.

Angela Fusillo
Los Angeles, CA

300-LBS (9/93)....145-LBS (CURRENT WT)....135-LBS(GOAL)...130-LB (LOWEST EVER)

Most Active
Recent Topics