I had my first Iron Infusion today... how did you feel on Day 1?

fernfrog
on 7/15/13 2:46 pm - CA

I can't wait to feel better. I'm not feeling so well today though. Just very, very, tired and lethargic.

I'm praying and hoping for relief when this is all over!

Thanks for all of your support everyone who advised me to high tail it to the hematologist. I should have gone long ago.

severman
on 7/16/13 6:59 am - Indianapolis, IN

I can't remember exactly how low my levels were, but they were pretty low.  But it took me a couple infusions to feel better.  Hope you feel better soon!

Stephanie E

fernfrog
on 7/16/13 9:24 am - CA

Thank you. I had Venofer and last night I felt like I had the flu. I was a fever of 102, chills and stomach felt a little sick, flu sick but today I'm feeling a  little better.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/16/13 10:09 am, edited 7/16/13 10:10 am

Iron not absorbed in the body by IV may end up in the intestines (liver filter it and dumps it in bile)  and cause same issues as iron taken by mouth - upset belly, cramping, digestive issue, constipation, etc..

My belly would get upset for 1-2 days ,  then I would be fine for a couple of days and got another infusion...  I had 4 - once a week.. 

I had flu like symptoms a day of the infusion...  as for eating - I took it easy and try to eat some easy to digest foods, soups, and get proteins... iron binds to proteins so it is good to have high protein levels.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

fernfrog
on 7/16/13 3:27 pm - CA

Thank you! I will make sure to be as good with my protein as I can on Monday's. I've got one a week for the next 5 weeks. I didn't have any intestinal issues really, just felt like flu with aches, fever, chills and I didn't have the want to eat really anything. This is good info though. I'm excited to go through this again and hopefully get up my numbers!

cajungirl
on 7/18/13 12:47 am

Venefor worked better for me than Infed.  I felt much better after the 2nd infusion with Venefor, Infed took me 4 to see some improvement.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Larry J.
on 7/19/13 4:27 am

Ladies - I am a RNY patient and I just got my lab results and my iron is low.  This may should silly to ask but does your primary care give you the Venefor or should I go to a specific type of doctor?  My WLS Office does not give that type of service.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

fernfrog
on 7/28/13 2:12 pm - CA

I had to go to a Hematologist to get the proper orders for Infusions. My Primary referred me.

andyinmco
on 7/19/13 11:16 pm - DELTONA, FL

I actually had no idea I was iron defient. I really had no signs. I had my yearly blood work done & they told me my iron was a 2! I had my first infusion a couple of weeks ago. I did notice I have less headaches and my hair is getting thicker. That is about it. I was running 4 miles a day and had no idea that there was an issue. The lack of iron was due to switching from chewables to tablets. Tablets did not absorb at all. Working with my doctors to go back to supplements (no liquid only) so I don't have to have infusions the rest of my life. 

Andrea

fernfrog
on 7/28/13 2:15 pm - CA

Just wanted to let you All know....I'm going for my third infusion and it has seriously changed my life. After only two infusions my PICA is GONE! I have broken teeth over my insane ice habit. I've been going through BAGS a day for over a year. I hated ice at one point in my life. My obsession and crazy need for it has been diminished in a matter of weeks. I could just cry this is so freeing to me. I feel like no one really understands the way I feel, except for maybe some of you.

I feel free. I feel better. I'm deathly afraid of needles and labs but I'm more fearful to go back to that state of madness.

Most Active
Recent Topics