Struggling

Whatty
on 9/19/15 4:38 am

I am struggling a lot, 1 year five months after surgery. I've lost the weight and haven't gained but my carb and food intake is out of control! I often keep to 1500 calories a day but on Friday and the weekend, I can reach 2500. I worked a very active job at a restaurant but have quit because I'm getting plastic surgery next week. I need the ability to limit my calories back to 1200 when I'm laid up and I don't know if I can do it. This is very unacceptable to me and causes a lot of guilt and self hate. I don't want to regain the weight I've lost. I'm getting married and the idea of getting back on track but then having the menu and cake tasting is freaking me out. I don't want to cut the sugar and carbs out and get my cravings under control only to get them back when I have to taste things for the reception. I need help, I struggle everyday.

Laura in Texas
on 9/19/15 10:38 am

Perhaps you need to find a good therapist. You cannot live your life in fear of what "might" happen in the future (such as weight gain). You can only control the present. You are in charge of what you eat.

I ate more after plastics and lost weight.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Eggface
on 9/20/15 10:13 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I second Laura's suggestion of finding a therapist. Fear, guilt, self hate, uncontrolled eating... find one that has expertise in eating disorders, working with bariatric patients... I truly believe the most important work we do post WLS is above the neck. Don't wait or delay this... sounds like lots of stress (good stuff but still stress) is ahead so set yourself up for success. In the short term... meal planning helps... know what you are going to eat on paper before the day begins. So it's not an last minute, on the fly deal. 

Best, Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

JA
on 9/21/15 7:37 am - East Haven, CT

I agree with the other two folks, therapy is golden and has helped me stay and/or get back on track.  Sugar and carbs are our enemies, once we start there is no stopping.  It's soooo hard.

Good luck.

JA

Samantha F.
on 10/20/15 8:09 am - Coden, AL
RNY on 06/09/14

I tell people who are considering this surgery that the head problem is a big deal. Get some professional help. Use a journaling tool. Encourage yourself instead of expecting failure. I bake cakes for a living and have to beat the sugar monster every day. it is a hard fight but I am worth it and so are you. If you get the cravings under control now, you will be in a much better place when tasting time comes. Let the groom and the bridesmaids do the tasting. You can just pick the design

Most Active
Recent Topics