Article

Darlene
on 7/30/05 3:14 pm
This is an article I get from Medscape. Would like to hear some comments on this from the "older" post ops. Do Not flame me please, I didn't write it Darlene Weight Loss Injection Makes Patients Feel Full By Patricia Reaney LONDON (Reuters) Jul 25 - British scientists said on Monday they had developed a new treatment that could help obese and overweight people lose weight by making them feel full. Researchers at Imperial College London believe the treatment, an injection of a natural digestive hormone called oxyntomodulin that is released in the small intestine, could help to stem the world's growing obesity epidemic. "The discovery that oxyntomodulin can be effective in reducing weight could be an important step in tackling the rising levels of obesity in society," said Professor Steve Bloom, who headed the research team. The injection switches off the appetite so people eat less. In a four-week trial of 26 people, volunteers who were given three injections of the treatment each day 30 minutes before meals lost an average of 2.3 kilos (5 lb). A control group that had saline injections lost about half a kilo (1 lb) (p = .01016). Oxyntomodulin injections were associated with "transient mild nausea" in 3% of occasions, compared to 0.2% of saline injections (p = .0389). Bloom and his colleagues, *****ported their findings in the journal Diabetes, said it was still early days and more research needed to be done. But they have already set up a company called Thiakis to develop the treatment, which they hope will be available by prescription in about five years. They initially envision it as a treatment for people who are overweight or obese and have a medical problem. But once it is established it could be rolled out more widely. Bloom and his colleagues have developed a once-a-day injection and are looking into delivering the treatment through a nasal spray. "When it comes to taking a pill with water or taking a disposable syringe with a super-fine needle and pressing the plunger, it really isn't very difficult," Bloom said. Patients given the injection also had reduced levels of leptin, and lower levels of adipose hormones, consistent with loss of adipose tissue.
junglejim
on 7/30/05 5:10 pm - South Western, Oh
I think this is wonderful! I would support the treatment of obesity in any form that helps others live a healthier, better life. I know I tried it ALL pre op. Cabbage soup, Adkins, sugar busters and fen fen.....et al. So why not have another weapon in the arsenal to defeat obesity. I mean this is why we are here to beat this disease known as obesity. I know that this is very experimental and could be years to decades away from being marketable. But if my children and childrens children could have something like this to defeat this horrendous disease. I for one will stand and cheer Jim RNY 10/27/03-215
Amanda-DS
on 7/30/05 10:52 pm
honestly I thing it will be great, of course I worry about the side effects that we don't know about (shudders at Fen-phen, Vioxx both destroying the hearts of people) There would be no reason it would not help wls patients as well, some people find that their appetites return and they have great trouble restricting food. Also some of us never felt full and have disordered hunger signals as a reason we needed wls surgery in the first place-this could be a real help to them as well. gratitiude is my attitude Amanda S VG-DS October 2001 highest >350/342 start of wls journey/156@goal and ps
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/05 9:16 am - Fort Myers, FL
Amanda--"Also some of us never felt full and have disordered hunger signals as a reason we needed wls surgery in the first place-this could be a real help to them as well" That is exactly why I liked the phen-fen. It worked on the brain and I didn't feel hungry. That disorderd hunger signal thing fits me to a tee.
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/05 6:47 am - Fort Myers, FL
How interesting. I think I am feeling the need for a shot now. I wonder if the control group was M.O.? I am not sure many M.O. eat because they are hungry per se. I hope this stuff or something else turns out to work in the future. I have to admit--I really like phen-fen-wi**** didn't have such bad side effects because it did something to my brain that made me not hungry.
Paula A.
on 7/31/05 10:59 am - San Joaquin Valley, CA
Hi all, I am relatively new at maintenance (5 months). I have felt hungry all my life it seems. Unfortunately it has continued full force through all phases of this journey. I found it much easier to resist those "killer carbs" early postop when I was motivated to make this work. I still feel hungry and worry about how to control this behavior and how long it might take for me to lose my resolve. Therefore, this injection might be of great benefit to me. It could be an important tool in my lifestyle change toolbelt. I know I need to work hard at the "head" part of wls to be successful for the longterm, and I fully intend to fight my inner demons to develop healthier behaviors. But, this injection would be a help while I'm working on changing. Wonder if it has any impact on the endocrine system...sure don't need my hormones out of whack anymore than they are now!!! Paula
Most Active
Recent Topics