Was there one special thing ?

sweetp33
on 5/1/06 9:22 am - Bucks County, PA
Hi there I am new to this board but seems like you guys share some great info. One of my biggest deciding factors other than the fear of diabetes (my whole family seems to have it) is that I felt like I was missing out on life. I was afraid I couldnt fit in airplane seats so never took any great vacations...didnt go to amusement parks...had trouble keeping up with people when we did go to tourist type places and I hurt alot. I just felt that at 33 this is not how my life should be. My fear of diabetes was a big determinent to begin looking into WLS but when I started reading people's profiles, I realized how much I was missing out on in life and how I was letting my weight control and take hold of me. Well no more. The thinner and healthier girl in me is beating to get out and come hell of high water she is coming out soon!
Jennifer P.
on 5/19/06 2:14 am - Erie, PA
My big thing was actually in many parts. I lost my mom in 2003 at age 53 to diabetes and heart disease. We had the same PCP so right away I decided that I needed to get a handle on my weight. I went to see him in August 2003 and we got right to work. 1500 cal. diet, exercise, the whole bit. I was 249 then and by August of 2004 was at 239--yep a whopping 10lbs in a year. He did some tests and discovered that I had pre-diabetes. Now I was at 1500 cals, watching sugars and carbs. In October 2005 I was at 231--over 2 years and down 18lbs. Also at that time he diagnosed degenerative arthritis in both knees and said I would need total knee replacement in the right ASAP but there were no docs. in my area willing to do it b/c I was only 30. We started talking about ways to remedy the knee issue and he finally just asked me if I wanted to live longer than my mother. He explained that I was on the same path she was and it was time to take a drastic step. He recommended that I see the surgeon and explore my options. He also started working w/me monthly on weight loss options. I stuck with the 1500 cal. diet, low carb, low fat and exercised as much as possible. My weight loss was as follows: 231/236/234/235/229/226--now I am currently 229 and was approved by insurance 3/28/06 for surgery on 7/10/06! Being threatened w/ a much shorter life span was what I needed.
Most Active
Recent Topics