I'm new! I have a question about going back to work after surgery!

nonnieh
on 6/11/06 1:37 pm - PA
Hello, I'm new here. I'm hoping to have surgery this summer. How long must one wait before going back to work after lap rny surgery? I am a teacher and am worried because I won't be able to take much time off. Thanks!
RHONDA FROM KY
on 6/12/06 7:21 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
your doctor should answer this for you... but MY experience was I could have returned after just 2/3 weeks.. but took 6 only 'cause I could...
kegraham
on 6/30/06 10:09 am - Randleman, NC
It depends on what you do too. My sister had lap band early in May on a Thursday and went to work on Monday. She's a receptionist. She hasn't had any problems so far.
ScoutMom14
on 7/18/06 2:49 pm - Loreauville, LA
Of course your doctor will be your guide but generally with a lap RNY and a non-strenuous job a few weeks should be fine. I had an open RNY due to previous surgical incisions and was out either 4 or 5 weeks.
Carolyn W.
on 8/5/06 11:49 am - Edmonton, Canada
This is my first time on this board too and decided to put my 2 cents in for you. I had lap RNY surgery in Apr and took 4 weeks off - I have a desk job. I probably could have gone back to work a bit earlier but had the time. I did feel a little tired the first few weeks back and went home early some days. Bottom line is listen to your doctor and your body most of all - you will know when you're tired and need to rest. Carolyn
donaramirez
on 8/19/06 4:05 pm - Las Cruces, NM
I was a Probation/Parole officer at the time of my surgery. I was out 2 weeks. After the first week I probably could have returned back to work as long as I didnt have any heavyduty work. But everyones healing is different. Ask your Dr. Good Luck... Dorise
Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 265 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 520 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 510 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3567 views