New Here

Jenb1202
on 4/8/16 9:55 am

I wrote a bunch about myself in the "About Me" section of my profile.  I jumped through my final hoop yesterday with my endoscopy and have VSG scheduled for 4/26/16.  My highest weight was 326; my weight at my first bariatric appointment was 307; my weight this past weekend was 284.  I'm drinking at least one protein shake most days and have returned to riding my exercise bike (recumbent).  I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, severe GERD, hypertension, high cholesterol, as well as a number of co-morbid conditions.

Being 44 and on disability for depression, I'm scared that my metabolism has been slowed down so much by my age and medications that I will lose far less weight than I could otherwise.  How about other 40-somethings?  Has age played a role in your weight loss?  Are there any other women in this age group who have been taking meds and continued on them during their weight-loss process?  It feels like the (IM)perfect storm.

I'm both excited and terrified about the journey I'm embarking on.  I start my all-liquid diet on Tuesday and am trying to fit in some of my favorite foods before then.  Did anyone else go on this "binge" (for lack of a better word) to fit in the foods they may not eat again?

I was introduced to this site yesterday when I had my endoscopy and one of my nurses had WLS, losing 170 lbs with her highest weight being in the mid 300s.  I'm hoping to find some support here and hopefully offer some, too!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/9/16 4:05 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi & congrats on your upcoming surgery. Try cross posting this on the vsg forums or the other main forums like the general one or the people over 50 bmi forum. Not many people come here.

As to your question, I got my surgery in my 40's (44) & didn't feel that my metabolism was so bad that I wouldn't lose weight. All I can say is look at your past dieting history, a restrictive only procedure may not be enough for you to get to goal & stay there. For me whenever I cut back I lost weight, but for some it was a struggle so they went for the restrictive & malabsorption procedures, think rny & ds. 

You can lose the weight with vsg but it'll take a bit more work to get to goal & stay there, for me it was & is totally worth it! Good Luck to you. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Jenb1202
on 4/9/16 5:19 pm

Thanks!  I'll post in the other forums.  I just hate the thought of being over-run with emails yet at the same time really want and need the support.  For sure, though, I'll head over there and copy my previous post into the other forums.  I really appreciate your kind words and thoughts :)

Blessings, Jen

Teena D.
on 4/11/16 7:12 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Good luck! I live in Ontario where RNY is the main surgery given and only VSG if there are other health concerns. I was under the impression that if you have GERD that RNY was a better option, but I'm fairly new - and haven't had my surgery yet. Good luck! I'm sure you will do fine,

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

lynamerangue
on 7/29/17 12:08 pm

Im at the beginning of my journey. I am meeting the surgeon for the first time on Aug 3. I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy your "new life". Keep in touch, would love to hear how you made out.

Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 265 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 520 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 510 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3567 views