New to the board . . .

Matt S.
on 11/8/05 7:32 pm - Otsego, MI
Hi everyone! I've been looking around the website for awhile now, and just started reading this board. I'm 44 and having my surgery (lap RNY) the 16th. Everyone here seems to be very successful - which is definitely encouraging! Does anyone have any words of wisdom for things in particular to watch out for? Matt
cajungirl
on 11/8/05 10:18 pm
Hey Matt, welcome to the board, wishing you an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery....only days til you being your journey to good health. Words of wisdom I share with you are listen to your surgeon, follow his/her guidelines and you'll do well. Listen to your body and remember to sip your water, get in your protein, never forget your vitamins and exercise. My final tip.....positive attitude, you'll have some good days and bad days early on but remember why you are having surgery and focus on your goal, to be healthy...it is an amazing journey and one I'm glad to be on. Take care, prayers going up for you. Dana
Matt S.
on 11/9/05 8:40 am - Otsego, MI
Thanks for prayers and advice! I read your profile and you've done great - what and inspiration! I hope my "transition" goes as smoothly! Take care, Matt
Dea J.
on 11/9/05 12:48 am - Huntsville, AL
Matthew, Welcome to the 40's board and to your WLS journey. Get ready for the ride of a lifetime. It will all be worth it - stay focused on your goals and stay positive - don't let anyone bring you down. YOU can do it! Best of luck - looking foward to hearing your accomplishments. - hugs - dea(-120)
Matt S.
on 11/9/05 8:49 am - Otsego, MI
Thanks, Dea! I read your profile, too! Great job! You'r looking wonderful and I like your bike! I ride, too (Vulcan Nomad). Hopefully I'll get more miles in next summer. This summer I just didn't have much ambition/desire, so I knew something had to change. Thanks again for the encouragement! (I'll admit I'm still pretty nervous, though.)
meandpugs
on 11/9/05 2:11 am - valrico, FL
Hi Matt. Welcome to the board.. and congrats on you up coming surgery.. The only addvice that I can give you is.. Stay possitive thru your journey and listen to your surgeon and your Nutr. And stay plugged in to this site.. There are a lot of great people here that can and will answer your question and give addvice at your time of need And enjoy your journey... Cyndee
Matt S.
on 11/9/05 8:55 am - Otsego, MI
Thanks for the reply, Cyndee! You folks are all very kind and supportive. I've already learned a lot from the boards. It is very encouraging to see the progress you folks have made. I just pray I can be as strong as you to get through the initial healing time and then learn and keep making the good food choices afterwards.
lrosenda
on 11/10/05 6:28 am - Magna, UT
Matt, The key to success with WLS is that you gotta want to be successful more then anything! I've done well in the past 5.5 months since my surgery, but, I know I want it more then anything I've ever wanted. Now that I'm down 106 lbs, I feel so much better. I still have 108 lbs to go, but, it really feels possible! What a feeling! It never felt that way before. My keys to success have been: 1. I keep a daily log of all my food intake in fitday.com to make sure I am getting enough protein in, every day. 2. I now exercise at a gym 6 days a week. I started with walking at 8 weeks out. Did that for 2 months, then got a trainer to give me a program at the gym. I meet with him every 6 weeks to change my routine. 3. I follow my surgeon's instructions to the letter on food and vitamin intake and exercise. If you try and pu**** to soon, you take longer to heal. This is not a magic pill. It is a tool. But, a tool that gives us possibility, maybe for the first time ever! Lori 384/278/170
Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 267 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 522 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 511 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3569 views