WLS and estrogen

nineballoons
on 11/22/05 11:02 am - Pensacola, FL
Has anyone in their experience with WLS had the surgery throw them into perimenopause? I'm 41. I've had menopausal symptoms and been going back and forth to doctors regarding the symptoms trying to get relief. The worst of the symptoms are the constant migraines and insomnia. Any thoughts? What did you do? It took almost a month but my doctor gave me an estrogen patch and didn't run any FSH test or anything on me. I saw a gyn yesterday and she wants me off the patch for 2 weeks and then get a level. But she treated me as if I was taking her time for just migraines. I seriously doubt vaginal dryness has anything to do with headaches LOL. But it also could be vitamin deficiencies or possibly thyroid. I'm trying to explore all avenues. At this point I'm just trying to research as much as I can to find out where I should go next. I've seen my pcp, my neurologist, and now a gyn that does specialize in menopause. Please reply. Thanks. Stephanie
lrosenda
on 11/28/05 8:43 am - Magna, UT
Stephanie, I went through this at 43 years old before WLS. A whole lotta women do, so the fact that your doctor isn't taking you seriously is weird! Hang in there. It will get better...Just think of your hot flashes as your own personal sauna...yeah, right. Lori 384/274/170
chauncine
on 12/4/05 1:53 am - Milwaukee, WI
Stephanie, I would see another doctor or do you have a women's center in your area? I went through surgical menopause in my mid-30s and took Premarin for years. My curent doctor took me off it because she felt that my body produced enough estrogen because I was obese. I recently told her about my upcoming surgery and was advised that eventhough I currently don't have any symptoms that I will once I go towards a normal weight and will have to investigate some type of hormonal therapy. I wish you a solution and relief from your symptoms. Let me know what happens because we are close in age. Chauncine RNY 12/12/05
nineballoons
on 2/11/06 3:45 pm - Pensacola, FL
Finally some relief! I saw another gynecologist who specializes in hormone therapy. I am now giving myself estrogen shots once a month. I can tell just a difference in two days on the stuff. I don't absorb pills well, the patches were horrible. The ones that did stick, stuck so well that they ripped my skin. And the effectiveness wore off before the week was up. Then I was miserable. I was getting menstrual migraines and when the levels were low, they were daily. Talk about hard to function! And I was doing it, with 3 -4 hours a night sleep. Isn't menopause grand? HA HA. I think I'll be doing much better. Just wish someone had recommended this doctor months ago. They have said that WLS through me into "surgical menopause". Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 267 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 522 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 512 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3570 views