2nd Chance Revisions

Groups » 2nd Chance Revisions » Discussion » in need of revision...

in need of revision

smul3
on 3/12/13 6:10 am - Williamstown, NJ

I had my original surgery 8/16/2000 and it was the best thing that I ever did. Now 12 1/2 years later I have regained 110 lbs of the 160 I lost. I am considering a revision. Can anyone please tell me their views or experiences please. I meet with surgeon this coming Friday.

Lynn W.
on 3/15/13 11:35 am, edited 3/15/13 11:35 am - NJ

How did your meeting go with the surgeon today?

Lynn 

Well-behaved women seldom make history.  --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

smul3
on 3/15/13 12:11 pm - Williamstown, NJ

I think it went fairly well. He told me that due to my severe gerd there may be a mechanical problem. I have to have upper gi and endoscopy, already scheduled. He also said that it may be a laproscopic  fix, which would be great, but have to wait for test results. I will have UGI next week and endoscopy 4/1, going to try and get back to him by April 5th latest. He also told me he trained my original surgeon and I told him I knew that a;ready. So he knows the plumbing first hand. He mentioned that there has been a llittle change or something in the way he taught my surgeon. Hopefully its mechanical and not me.

Shirley

Lynn W.
on 3/15/13 12:36 pm - NJ

Glad to know you're on the right track toward getting some answers and hopefully a seat on the losers bench soon.

Good for you!  

Lynn 

Well-behaved women seldom make history.  --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

smul3
on 3/15/13 10:02 pm - Williamstown, NJ
I added u to my friends. I am having problems navigating this site and responding to messages.
Shirley
jessica892
on 5/1/13 7:26 am - Poplar Bluff, MO

Shirley,

What kind of surgery did you have? I had the RNY Gastric Bypass on 3/27/2002. I developed an ulcer on my staple line a month after but that was the extent of my complications. I had an upper GI Friday and an EGD (endoscopy) yesterday. My dr. (hopefully my new surgeon soon) came in and told me that my stomach has completely reconnected. It's as if I never had the surgery! On one hand I am ticked but on the other hand relieved that it wasn't all me. ( I know it was me some but it's great to know there is more than just my weakness to blame!)

I meet with Dr. El Djouzi on the 17th so hopefully I will find out more then. He said there are ways to work around the exclusion policy in my insurance, he called it a diversion. I don't know if that's another surgery or if he means we are going to distract the insurance :)

I'll keep you all posted!

smul3
on 5/1/13 10:36 am - Williamstown, NJ

I had rny 8/2000 at the time I didn't know I was only the 23rd patient. I had no complications but have gained 100 lbs back most of it emotional reasons and some my own. The 1st surgeon I went to turned out I dont think he wanted to do a revision. He said my pouch was still small and the best he could do was shorten the roux-en limb 2 more feet and at best I would lose 20 lbs if I worked at it. So I searched found another surgeon willing to trasect my stomach, and do something up top (minor) where original surgery was. Apparently they have come along way and the piece up top feeds into the other part of my stomach causing hunger hormones to be released. So I found a surgeon, am working on quitting smoking. I had a previous nodule om my lung very small that I have a ct scan for yearly. The nodule is the same but they found something else so no I have to jump through hoops to get clearance. I cancelled all my other testing until I get this done. I would have had surgery in june with no problem . Getting frustrated thinking about waiting until after the summer.What state do you live in? Please keep me posted and good luck!

Rigina
on 5/5/13 3:24 pm

I know this is a tad off topic, but I have smoked 3 packs a day for 23 years, and I quit 10 weeks ago using electronic cigarettes!!!  It REALLY helps with having something in your hand and still being able to 'smoke' but you gradually decrease your nicotine.  This will be a HUGE help for you when you get to have your revision..you wont be craving a cig the whole time you are trying to recover!! I wish you the best!!!

I need a revision as well.  I had Vertical Banded Gastroplasty, and I have 4 holes in my staple line.  Already had the endoscopy/upper and lower GI. I have gained almost 60lbs in 6 months..the 1st 40lbs in 1 month!  My original surgeon died, so I am starting from scratch.

Hischildsindi
on 5/18/13 9:37 am

I had a vertical banded gastroplasty back in January 2003 and lost over 120 pounds. I gained back almost all of it over the last 7 years.  I had a revision to a lap RNY gastric bypass on May 7.  So I'm just 11 days post op.   I had a lot of adhesions but the surgery itself was routine. 

Just stick with the doc do as he says and skip the hoops including dietician appointments or whatever he indicates.  You can do this!  

Acey
on 8/19/13 11:14 am - Dallas, TX

Hi, i had gastric bypass in 2000 and have gained my weight back. I'm looking for a surgeon in Dallas to do a revision or band. My GB was open surgery I'm hoping , if possible, if i do get a revision they could do it by laparoscopic. 

How bad was the pain on the lap revision? Did it put you out a full week? how long were you in the hospital?