2nd Chance Revisions

Groups » 2nd Chance Revisions » Discussion » dont no what to do ...

dont no what to do !

sherryhall62
on 5/12/13 2:39 am - MI

I had surgery in 2007 R N Y  LOST about 90 pounds and kept that off for a while finnaly I desided I needed help I dont want to be where I was so I contacted my surgons office got a appointment took day off work went down there and was basicly crying when I came out !! he didnt do anything for me ..he just said the oly thing that could do is put me on a back on track progranthat would cost me about 1500 dollors for 8 weeks and see a diatision and theropist !! I have tried dieting ..and cant do it thats why I had surgery !! now thay want me to starve myself on there foods ..I desided am not going by there foods I want to eat normal ..so I feel like there isnt anyone to help me ...I eat healthy and am eating more protiens now trying for 60 or more a day ..

sherryhall62
on 5/12/13 2:42 am - MI

I am from michigan went to GR had Dr Foote he was so nice the first time but this pa he has now said he wont even see me unless i do this back on track

jessica892
on 5/17/13 7:48 am - Poplar Bluff, MO

First thing to check, get an EGD and Upper GI done. I had my surgery in 2002 but had no follow up because of distance. About 7 years ago I started gaining weight back, fast, 30lbs in one month and slower after that. A bariatric surgeon finally came to my area and I went to see him due to Acid Reflux. I was convinced I had failed my surgery not that my surgery had failed me. Guess what. My old stomach and new stomach are best friends again! It's like I never had gastric bypass. AND I have severe BILE reflux. Now I am seeing his dietician and remembering a lot of the basics again. I will be having a RNY diversion. Which is a close cousin of gastric bypass and having a portion of my stomach removed due to polyps. I will basically be having another gastric bypass. I will stay in the hospital for a week, be off work for 3, have to take more vitamins, get more protein, run the risk of worse complications, and run the risk of having severe malabsorption issues. (Blindness, nervous system problems, and death!)

I am not doing this for the weight loss. It's not worth it just to lose weight.  I am fairly healthy thank God. I could live the rest of my days obese. However, I cannot live with the pain of this bile reflux. I am miserable. Think Acid Reflux on crack!

Anyway, that is my story and my suggestion. Rule out a mechanical failure. After that it's getting back to basics. Start the diet from scratch. My doctor recommends the clear liquids for as long as you can stand to help jump start things. I'll be on the clear liquid 2-4 weeks before surgery, depending on how much more he wants me to lose. Keep a food journal. Sparkpeople or myfitnesspal are both great and the mobile apps have a barcode scanner. Also, try for 80 grams protein. That's what I'm being told now by the nutritionist. I've also noticed since I cut out sodas two months ago I am not having as much head hunger. Maybe the gassy carbonation made my stomach feel like it was empty. I don't know. Just some suggestions. Take what you can use! :) Good luck!

sherryhall62
on 11/18/13 11:29 pm - MI

thank you

majestikbutterfly
on 4/26/14 9:36 am - Temperance, MI

My husband (no GB and normal weight) has severe reflux. We heard about Aloe Vera Juice and he tried it, and it is the only thing that has helped him. He only drinks a certain brand (Real Food Organics) but any Inner Filet only juice will work.  He went from drinking a cup several times a day to now only about once a month.  Just a suggestion, may want to try it also.  

-+=*Michelle*=+-

2014Melb2
on 5/9/14 10:02 am

How are you now? What changes if any have you made to start working back to a healthier you? 

kwashington09
on 8/19/14 5:32 am

Please go and get a second opinion look for someone who specializes in revision. I had the gastric sleeve with much success I went from 265 to 155. Everything was going pretty well and then I got pregnant and was severly sick the entire time could not exercise. I gained 75 pounds during the pregnancy. So once I had my son I went back to basics. I did the all liquids for 3 days to jump start my weight loss I began to work out again and monitored what I ate. I  had very little success. I even tried diet pills that worked through half the day and then by the evening I felt as if I was starved to death.

So after 8 months of trying to do it on my own I went to see a surgeon. He was awful and told me that I needed to see the nutrionist and therapist for 4 months and to see if I could change my habits to lose the weight that I had probably over ate and stretched my pouch and that even if I had a revision I would probably do the same thing. I was mortified. I felt like a failure. He didnt even listen to my story or hear the things I had tried to lose the weight.

After about 3 months I decided to get a second opinion I was back on blood pressure medicine and steady gaining weight. Thank God I got the second opinion. After letting the dr know about the pain in my stomach, the sever acid reflux, and the nausea he scheduled me for an EDG. Come to find out my stomach has twisted and is shaped more like an hour glass than a banana because my original surgeon left a bulge at the top and bottom of my stomach because its an easier technique. This is what is causing all the problems and the weight regain. I am scheduled to have a revision to the bypass on 9/8/14. I am so happy I went with my gut because I knew something was not right and the weight gain and inability to lose weight was not just a result of poor choices on my part. I am partially to blame for getting pregant within the first 5 years but honestly the surgery could have been done better from the beginning.

Let me know how it goes once you find another surgeon