2nd Chance Revisions

Groups » 2nd Chance Revisions » Discussion » Getting Ready for R...

Getting Ready for Revision/Small Pouch Leaking and Fistula Repair

Tink365
on 8/8/14 9:07 am

Well I am back here again after many many years so funny how things happen!  I had a bypass 10 years ago and did just great and lost 130 pounds.  I went through hell after about 3 years after surgery going through a terrible terrible divorce.  I had no idea at the time but I switched addictions and started drinking wine with a girlfriend at night after work.  This led to alcoholism which lots of bariatric weight loss talk about now but back then nobody had really knew it could be such a potential problem.  The way we process our food, medication, alcohol is so different.  Anyway I became a full blown alcoholic and went to treatment about 4 years ago and I have been sober for over two now.  I started feeling really bad and having tons of acid reflux.  I honestly figured that I had just "blown" out my surgery and the 70 pounds I had regained was just something I had done to myself.  I did go see Dr. Jawad in Orlando, FL which is where I live.  I had the Upper GI and they found that my pouch was leaking in to my big stomach and I had a fistula.  I was so relieved that my insurance approved this revision surgery in about a day if that!  I have Aetna Choice PPO.  I will be getting my surgery date next week.  I should be having the surgery in the next few weeks.  Has anybody had this type of revision surgery? If so, I would love to hear about your experience.  I feel VERY blessed to be getting a second chance.

thekatinthehat10
on 8/20/14 11:58 pm

First, congratulations on getting the help you need and remaining Sober!   That's awesome.  

Well I am going through something similar as in I just learned that I have a fistula that must be repaired as well as an ulcer that must be cut out. I had my surgery in 2002. About 6 years ago, I, like you, I started feeling really bad alot and having tons of acid reflux.  I also blamed myself, and I never sought any help.  I had been living with it for years, but about a year and a half ago, I began having terrible abdominal pain.  It really scared me.  I began first with my PCP then a gastroentrinologist (sp), neither of whom could figure it out.   I finally decided that I better be smarter about this and see a bariatric doctor.     Anyway, so this is where I am...hopefully will have the surgery in the next month or so to get this pain to stop.   I am also excited and feel blessed that I may be able to restart my weight loss!   I never lost what I needed to lose. Good luck to you, to both of us!

Tink365
on 9/11/14 12:31 am

Hello!  I hardly ever find anyone who has this type of revision.  My surgery has been moved up to next Wed. so I am ramping up for it.  I am anxious but so ready to feel better as I am sure you are as well!  Keep me posted lets stay in touch since we are "special revisions". LOL

fromthemomma
on 10/5/14 4:24 pm - Eugene, OR

I heard on the news that people with gastric bypass had a tendency to become alcoholic.  Something about how the surgery re routes, does something with the alcohol that makes it harder.  Sounds like you've had a rough go, good luck with your surgery.

Kem