2nd Chance Revisions

Groups » 2nd Chance Revisions » Discussion » Hi All! New member ...

Hi All! New member and looking into revision for RNY Bypass

drizz75
on 1/5/15 11:09 am

HI all! 

I have been looking into having a revision for several years now. I started off at 371 lbs., had the Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass in 2002 and lost 130 lbs., then never lost any more. While it was wonderful. I never got below 240/size 18. Despite several attempts at Weigh****chers, Sparkpeople, and MyFitnessPal to keep track of diet and exercise, I am currently around 270/Size 20.

I visited my original surgeon around 5 years ago, who said I am a "success case," because I i not regain the majority off my weight, like most of his patients. (Plus he said that some doctors will do a band or sleeve over a pouch, but he won't.) 

This year I had several appointments with a doctor who said that he did revisions. He happened to be an old partner of my original surgeon, but I was assured that this was not a problem. Long story short, he has refused and said I may want to try NYC or The Cleveland Clinic. 

At this point I have contacted the Cleveland Clinic, and they seem very nice and accomodating. Fingers crossed that I am able to get somewhere with them! 

karenyt
on 5/29/17 1:07 pm - Renton, WA

Similar story to yours and my revision is starting on June 1 . My doctor insists on reversing my RNY which was about 14 years ago and I also have a hiatal hernia in surgery number one . Then after I heal from that he will do surgery number two which is the sleeve . That is my revision and seems to be nothing normal kind of revision which is usually considered to be bands to something else . I lost lots of weight but had more to lose after my RNY and my doctors disappeared and I had no support system in place so I regained my weight . When I met with my new doctor surgeon he said gaining weight is unfortunately not that hard to do unless you have your head in the right place rather than just your food because you can't use food anymore as emotional substitute . He's dead right and I have spent the last year and 1/2 in counseling to be prepared .

V How are you doing if you're still in contact here or has anyone else been through this same procedure or something similar ?

drizz75
on 9/16/17 10:25 am

Hi there! After being denied by another surgeon (the old partner of my original surgeon), and then racking up $1500 trying to get approved for revision at the Cleveland Clinic, I had pretty much given up on getting a revision. Then I happened to see that my original surgeon had "revisions" listed on his webpage again and reached out.

I have been told I meet the requirements for a revision at this point, have been working with their dietitian, and am finally meeting with my original surgeon this coming week. Not sure what my options are, but I finally feel some hope with this situation.