Post_Op_PRs

Groups » Post_Op_PRs » Discussion » x-post "To ...

x-post "To Hill & Back" 8K (appropriately named!)

Kathy P.
on 6/6/10 7:36 am - Port Orchard, WA
Post Date: 6/6/10 11:28 am
Last Edit: 6/6/10 11:35 am
I am just back from my first official 8K Race! 

Yesterday, in wonderful Puget Sound, the weather was sunny and 75 degrees! This morning, at 6 a.m., it was pouring, and did not let up until the awards ceremony, where the rain went from downpour to just a mist. So, needless to say, the race was wet, and cold!

The course was quite a bit more challenging than I had aniticpated. The 3/4 first mile was lovely, (albeit rainy), fairly flat, along the marina and down town Gig Harbor. Mile 3/4 to mile 4 was all paved uphill road and then trail. The grades, which I anticipated to be between 5 and 8 % were actually calculated to be 10-15%. LONG STEEP GRADES!! Just when I crested the first one, I thought I had it made, until off in the  horizon, there arose another, more challenging demon hill! I managed to power up all of them, with taking 60 walking steps mid hill on the second of 4 killer ones.

The last mile was pretty much a light downward grade, so I was able to make up time and pass a few people who passed me on the second hill. 

The organziers announced this will be the official course for the festival from here on out.

SO THE GOOD NEWS:

I FINISHED without puking!
The organzers told me that if I could run up those hills, the half I am doing in August is a "no-brainer"!

STATS:
My time: 50:59
Pace 10:15

THE BAD NEWS:

My 15 yr. old "Jock" daughter, entered with me. At mile 2 she got shin splints, both legs, and was in pain for the remainder of the race. She walked and cried. She was horrified that she was going to come in AFTER me. I guess I could have been a good mommy and walked with her, but, ya' know.... uh... I don't think so...
Anyway, she was the only runner in her age group, so she did get first place, even though she walked and cried across the finish line. 
I propped her up in the car, grabbed some banana's and ice, and THEN went into "good mom"  mode.  I think she was really mortified to know her pic will be in the paper as the first place finisher for her age group (no make-up, wet hair, red eyes... 15 yr. old girl)

Here I am, representing the Team!

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;