Pcos Support

Question...

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/12 4:37 pm
Hey people, I am new to this website so please bear with me as I am still learning my way around here. I have already posted this question in the public forum but I'm going to re-post it here as well.

I was diagnosed with P.C.O.S. at the age of 16 and I am now 30 years old. I have been known to go literally years without having my monthly cycle.

My husband and I have been trying to have children unsuccessfully for going on 10 years and I was just wondering, after I have my gastric bypass surgery (the Roux-En-Y kind) and obviously well after the healing process,will I be able to have children and will my P.C.O.S. disappear completely? 

Also, for any of you who have had a similar experience, were you able to successfully have children after your healing time with gastric bypass surgery?

Any information on this topic would be great, thanks!
Sara7850
on 2/19/12 10:01 am - San Antonio, TX
I don't know about anyone else but that is why I'm actually having my gastric sleeve to better my chances.  I have read about several women who've had wls and have gotten pregnant afterward. 
Wishing you lots of luck on your journey.
(deactivated member)
on 2/19/12 1:10 pm
Thank you, Sara.
rach101406
on 4/11/12 9:51 am - fergus falls , MN
 Everyone that Ive known to have wls has become pregnant afterward. However, most surgeons do require you to wait 12-24 months after to concieve. HTH!!!

Soule
on 8/12/12 5:47 am - Charlotte, NC
PCOS symptoms never really go away, and are further aggravated by carbs. BUT you can get pregnant after WLS. I had my WLS about 6 years ago, still needed to see a R.E because it wasnt happening naturally. The R.E> prescribed me Femara, and I took some leftover metformin I saw sitting around (I would not recommend anyone do that, but my body reacts well to metformin and I knew it would helpl along w the femara) and I was pregnant on my first try. My daughter is 2 years old today. This from a woman who was diagnosed with PCOS at age 12, and had to take progesterone just to get a period before WLS.

SO it can hapen. I wish you the best!
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/12 8:49 am
I'm glad that things worked out for you. And happy birthday to your daughter, too! Thanks for the information. I am currently taking 500mg of Metformin 3 times a day to assist with the P.C.O.S. and insulin resistance. I am also on 0.125mg of Synthroid once a day for my hypothyroidism and 40mg once a day for my stomach pains. When my husband and I first tried fertility treatment, we used the Metformin and Clomid regimen but it didn't work (obviously) so the second time around, my gynecologist upped the dose of the Clomid and still nothing. I'm hoping this weight loss surgery will help in a big way to get my health back on track.