9 Months Out

Sep 15, 2008

It's been a while so I posted anything.  I'm almost 9 months out now and down 90 lbs.  For the first time since high school (I'm 34) I am down to 130.  Unbelievable!!!  I feel fabulous and so much better about myself and just life in general.

I can now be the outgoing and spontaneous mom that I wanted to be for my girls and they are loving their new fun mom too.  My life has changed do much for the better.  I still struggle sometimes with not being able to eat as much as before, which was my favorite past time.  However, the results have definitely been worth that little issue.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to e-mail.  It was very helpful to have advice from people who had been through it before I actually made the committment.  I would love to repay the favor.

4 1/2 months out and first kidney stone

May 06, 2008

Last Thursday morning I awoke to back pain which is very unusual for me.  In contined on with my morning routine and drive into work.  On my drive in (almost an hour one way) I began to hurt more and more - to the point that I drove myself to the urgent care.  

After numerous tests and a cat scan, I was told that I have a kidney stone.  They gave me a shot in the urgent care which caused the pain to subside and it didn't come back until Saturday morning.  Around 12:30 PM on Saturday, my "little friend" entered the world.  It was quite painful.

I asked the doctor in the urgent care what could cause this type of thing.  I was told that it can be a result of the gastric bypass because your body doesn't absorb food the way it once did.  

Even with the pain, so far, I would stil have done the gastric bypass.  I feel like a new person and it is worth it at this point.

4 Months Out

Apr 24, 2008

Well, it's hard to believe that it's been 4 months since my surgery.  I am down 63 lbs and now in the 150's which is so unbelievable for me.  It has been about 15 years since I saw the 150's.  

I am having a very difficult time eating.  Meat does not go down well for me at all unless it has been cooked in the crockpot all day and is very very tender.  But then when I eat other things, the carbs and such just absolutely wipe me out.  There is no happy medium and I just feel sometimes like it's not worth eating.

I am however, extremely happy with the way I'm feeling and the way I can do things now.  It is unbelievable.  I have at least 10 people tell me every day how fabulous and healthly I look.  I run into people I have known for some time and they pass by me and don't know who I am.  It's a good feeling.  I guess you trade the good for the bad.

I think other than the eating difficulties, the hardest part for me is that I go to the bathroom probably 5 - 6 times a day and when I have to go, I have to go right now or there is going to be a problem.  I think that may have something to do with the tiredness I have been experiencing too.

Everyone keeps telling me it does get better, your body just needs time to adjust and pull itself back together.  I guess I'll just have to hang in there a little longer and deal with it for now.  There are definitely good things that go along with it too.

3 Months Out

Mar 23, 2008

Wow!! It's hard to believe that it's been 3 months already.  I'm feeling great. I still so far, have had no real problems other than my mind still trys to fool me into thinking that I can eat more that I actually can.

Shopping has even become a little fun lately.  I am wearing large and xlarge tops even in the Juniors section now.  In addition, I am wearing the smallest size of jeans that you can buy in Lane Bryant now and I can't wear the tops at all.  It feels amazing.  

My husband is absolutely gah-gah over me, of course he was before too.  He is like watching a little kid who is amazed at what is happening in front of them.  He didn't really care if I had the surgery or not before hand, but I'm pretty sure he is very pleased now.

I had to go on a business trip last week for a couple of days and I surprised by 8 year old daughter at school by picking her up early when I arrived home.  She was sitting at a table doing her homework.  She looked up and saw me and looked back down at her homework.  In about 5 seconds she looked back up and smiled really big.  She said that she didn't think it was me because I looked so different than before.  That was pretty nice.

Oh yea, on the traveling note, it was great.  I had to fly on an airplane which I really did not like to do before surgery.  I was always concerned about putting the arm down between myself and the passenger next to me or not getting the belt fastened, etc.  I sat down in the seat and had plenty of room and no problems whatsoever.  In fact, there was actually room on both sides of me.  It made me almost giddy.

This has been a truly exciting trip for me.  I am having the time of my life and enjoying life again.  Spring has sprung both with the season and within me.  

Happy Spring Everyone!!!

2 Months Out

Feb 19, 2008

I am two months out from my GBP today.  I'm now feeling so awesome and young again.  I feel like I am gaining my life back.  I am down 43 lbs but down so much more baggage.  I feel like a huge burden has been lifted off of me and I'm free to move about the cabin

I went shopping this week and fit into the smallest pair of jeans that Lane Bryant has to offer - that means that the next pair will be at the "normal store" which was one of my goals.  

I also went and had a new hair style this weekend which I have found seems to be the growing trend on these sites.  I now have about 4 different colors of blended highlights in my hair along with a new hip style.  I left there Saturday knowing that a transformation was underway and the April that I have missed so much is back.

I am still having a struggle with the mental part of this process.  I still order or prepare way more food than I will be able to eat.  My mind still wants it but my new body just can't handle it.  That's a very good thing, just something that I have to get used to.

Thanks to all the support that everyone has been providing me.  It means the world to me and helps me get through the tougher days.  I still wouldn't trade my surgery for anything.  It was absolutely the right decision for me personally.

Almost 2 months out

Feb 11, 2008

I am almost 2 months out now and I'm down 39 lbs.  I have gone shopping for new clothes because I have to pin everything in order to keep it on.  It's starting to be a little embarassing.  I am getting on smaller sizes for sure but it's not where I think it needs to be.  I'm loosing everywhere but the pooch on the tummy has caught up yet so it's holding me back and making me mad.  So I ended up not buying anything because I'm not going to be upset with myself.  I will try it again in another week or so.  I'll just have to move the pins over a little further.  Oh well, there are worse things in the world I guess.

My 1st Big Wow Moment

Feb 03, 2008

Yesterday my family and I went to Sam's Club to make our normal spend too much run.  While we were there, my almost 8 year old daughter was standing in the aisle with me when she put her arms around my waist to give me that wonderful hug.  She has never been able to reach around me and join her hands, but she did yesterday.  I have never thought about it before yesterday.  At the same time we both looked at each other in amazement.  We were so excited.  I started to tear up in the middle of Sam's Club.  That was a big wow for me and her.  It was great.  Thanks for sharing the moment with me.  I'm now down 37 lbs.

Back to Work

Jan 03, 2008

Well, I went back to work yesterday and I think it helped to get back in the groove and get off the sofa.  It also helped me to stop thinking about all the food I'm missing mentally.

Things are going well.  I'm having some headaches periodically that I didn't have before surgery.  I'm hoping those will subside as I can do a little more intake of food.  

It has been 2 weeks today since my surgery.  I have been at a standstill in weight loss for the past 5 days.  I knew this would happen, however, it's just not a lot of fun to get on the scale and see no progress.  I'm sure it's happening now because I was on the 2 week Pre-op diet before the surgery.  I'm sure my body is in total shock right now.

The hardest part for me so far has been the mental aspect.  I feel that I need to eat even though I am not hungry especially when others around me are eating.  I have to get over that.  My tummy lets me know really fast that the eating wasn't necessary.  I haven't thrown up yet, but there sure are some tummy pains associated with the eating for about an hour afterwards.

I'll update more as the weight starts to fall off.  Thanks for following up on me and thanks for the support.

Surgery Went Well

Dec 28, 2007

Well it's been a little over a week and I am amazed at how well things went and how good I feel right now.  Surgery was not nearly as bad as I thought in fact, the hardest part of it was the IV.  I am more bruised from the IV than anything.

The surgery went good as said earlier.  In fact, it went so well that I didn't have a drain tube when I finally woke up and I only had to stay in the hospital for 1 day instead of my surgeon's standard two days.  I was soooo glad to get home.  It made me feel even better.

Now a week later, I am eating again.  It's really very odd to be honest.  I eat a few bites and there is some uncomfortableness so I wait about 5 minutes and start again.  Then everything seems to be okay.  I guess the hardest part for me right now is I am sooooo freaking tired.  One little task and I have to sit or lie down for a while to recovery.  I sure hope this passes fast.  I'm supposed to go back to work in about 5 more days.  I guess if that's all I have to complain about, I'm doing pretty darn good.

Thanks for all the prayers and support.  This site has been a God send for me.  I look forward to the continued support.

Pre-Op Liquid Diet

Dec 10, 2007

Okay -- I am now on Day 5 of the dreaded Pre-Op Liquid Diet and about to go insane.  I just want to eat.  I think the 2nd day and today have been the absolute hardest.  I have thought all day - 4 days down and 10 to go.  I want to eat soooo bad.  At one point on Saturday, I was ready to give it up and have a fabulous meal and then call my doctor today and tell him - forget it - I can't do this.

Then I thought about my girls and how miserable and unhealthy I am right now.  I somehow worked up the strength to get through it.  I have to hang on a little while longer.  I think this is going to be the longest two weeks of my life.  

However, i do have to say, I have lost 8 lbs in 4 days.  I think that is what's keeping me going.  I have to be and stay strong.  I can't give in to temptations...after all isn't that what landed me in this spot anyway?

Happy Holidays!!

About Me
Lincolnton, NC
Surgery Date
Aug 23, 2007
Member Since

Friends 18

Latest Blog 14
9 Months Out
4 1/2 months out and first kidney stone
4 Months Out
3 Months Out
2 Months Out
Almost 2 months out
My 1st Big Wow Moment
Back to Work
Surgery Went Well
Pre-Op Liquid Diet