March 2008

Mar 12, 2008

Obviously I'm not very good at this posting stuff....LOL  It's 15 mos. since my surgery and I am down 130 lbs.  I currently weigh 138 and I'm in a size 8.  That is so hard to believe!  Thank you God for getting me through this without one single problem!  I have had some inflamation at the pouch area so I take protonix and all is well.  I go to the gym as often as I can; however, working 2 jobs doesn't always make it feasible.  I feel absolutely great!  For anyone reading this, don't it now!

June 27, 2007

Jun 27, 2007

It's hard to believe that today is 7 mos. since my WLS.  My total weight loss is 107 lbs. and my BMI is 27.5.  I wish I had more time to exercise but there are only so many hours in a day.  I just started eating salads about 3 weeks ago.  I'm not really sure why I waited so long.  I think it scared me to be honest.  I still stay under 10 gr. of sugar and I plan to do that for a very long time.  I still don't eat much bread except for a piece of toast with an egg or a half of a grilled ham and cheese.  Protein is always first and I drink as much as possible.  I've had a few alcoholic drinks (maybe 4) and I've never even had a buzz; however, it did take me 2 hours to drink one....LMAO.  

Apparently I've done well enough that 3 of my friends are now going through the WLS process.  It makes me feel so good to be an inspiration to someone.  I hope all goes as smooth for them as it has for me.  I've told them all I put this in God's hands and he has seen me through.  I'm not a religious person but very spiritual and have LOTS yet to learn.  I trust in HIM.

April 27, 2007

Apr 27, 2007

It's 5 mos. today since my surgery and I am down 77 lbs.  My BMI is 30.9.

I still can't eat much.....I have good days and bad days.  I'm down to 180 lbs. and feel wonderful!  I'm also in size 14's and 16's.  I haven't been in this size for 30 years.  I am totally amazed and gratefully blessed.  God is truly wonderful!

March 21, 2007

Mar 21, 2007

Spring is officially here but it's still very cold out.  We had 8 inches of snow on Friday but it's melting.

I've been on a plateau for 2 weeks now.  I'm down 62 lbs. since surgery (73 total).  Thank you God!  I'm so blessed!

I went shopping the other week for new jeans.  I was gone all day and could not find one pair to fit.  They're either too big or too tight.  I'm at an in-between size and that's rather frustrating.

Bonnie wants me to go to Florida with her again this year.  I said I would but not over Easter again.  I don't feel right leaving my family on holidays.  I just really NEED some WARM SUN!

February 7, 2007

Feb 06, 2007

I haven't updated since my surgery on Nov. 27, 2006.  I haven't even figured out how to get my old profile to  my new profile here.

Surgery went very well other than the fact it was more painful than any surgery I've ever had.  He said he did some repair work so I don't get a hernia and that was probably why.  I had to be at the hospital at 5:45 am for surgery at 7:30 (thanks to a friend with connections).  I wasn't nervous at all that morning because I had complete faith in my surgeon and in God for taking care of me.  The pain was so bad I had to have someone pull from the front and push from behind for the first 2 days to get me out of bed but I got up  and walked.  The first time I walked I got so hot and thought I might pass out so every time thereafter I took ice packs with me.  I was in the hospital for 3 1/2 days and the time went faster than I thought possible.  I could not have asked for better care.  Everyone was wonderful!  My DH and DD were with me the day of surgery.  I don't remember anything until I woke up in my room.  I have no memory of being shifted to a bed or waking up in recovery.  My sister and stepmom came to see me the night of surgery and my sisters came back the next night.  I had friends from work in and out and felt so loved.

I was glad to go home but I slept on the recliner for 2 1/2 weeks.  Everytime I tried to lay down or get up, my left side hurt so bad I needed help.  Once I was up though, I felt great.  I went home on a Thursday and was home the entire next week.  But the second week when I was able to drive, I took my protein shake and went to lunch with  my daughter.  It didn't bother me being in a restaurant and not being able to eat.  There was no hunger at all.  I still don't get hungry after 10 weeks but I do know when it's time to eat because I get kind of weak. I followed my doctors orders to the T.  When I went home my feet and ankles were soooooo swollen.  I called the office and they told me to take 2 Lasix for 2-3 days.  Thank God that helped!  I also had severe diarrhea for the first 2 days.  It made me a little nervous because I had irritable bowel symdrome before surgery and was afraid it would get worse.   It's much better now.  I only go every 2-3 days.

I have a harder time with foods than most people because I am a very picky eater.  I don't like tuna, chilli, beans, etc.  Eggs don't seem to like me anymore and I ate them almost every day pre-surgery.  Chicken doesn't sit very well either but I am getting better with that.  What seemed to go down the best for me was broiled crab cakes but that gets old really fast.  Now I eat, fish, crab, lobster, ham, hamburg and tenderloin steak.  Yesterday was the first I had bread.  I had half of a grilled ham and cheese.  It went ok but I gave the crust to the dog.  Still makes me nervous.

I feel so blessed that at 10 wks. out I have not puked once!  I thank God every day.  I feel I'm a slow loser at 45 lbs.; HOWEVER, I've lost 43 inches.  I am going to the gym 3-4 times a week and I feel great!  Sometimes I get a little nauseous if something is too greasy but overall, I'm doing wonderful!  Thank you Lord for blessing me with this!



For 2 years I've heard good and bad stories about WLS and always thought "Judy, you can do this on your own,,,,you don't need surgery". Well guess what,,,I CAN'T! I can lose but I can't keep it off. Two years ago I lost almost 60 lbs. on Atkins and looked great. Now here I am again, I gained 68. This emotional roller coaster is very traumatic as you all know. Last night I went to a WLS support group meeting and today I called for an appointment. I go next week.

I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, I'm diabetic (no pills for that yet), and I have arthritis in my back and knees and tendonitis in my arms. Some days I can barely go up and down steps and I live in a split level house. Not to mention that my ankles want to snap on me from time to time. Lord only knows what's wrong with them! I'm short of breath walking from the car to the building at work. I'm going to Florida for Easter and I'm terrified the seat belt won't fit.


I went to my first appointment today. I weighed in at 263, BMI is 45.1. I know my insurance will cover but they require 6 mos. of nutritional counseling first. I received a packet of information with forms needed from my PCP. There is only 1 blood test I haven't had that is required so I will get that tomorrow.


Yesterday I received copies from PCP that were required so today I dropped them off at the surgeon's office. Evidentally they failed to include in my packet a form that requires 3 yrs. of medical records. That's ok except I found out last week that my PCP is closing her practice on March 17. I called the office and faxed this form to them. I hope it doesn't take too long. I have now become obsessed! I have spent about 14 hrs. on this site since last Thurs. when someone told me about it. I have read sooooooo many profiles until my eyes burn. I can't even start my 6 mo. diet until all the necessary paperwork is completed. This is going to be a very long process!


FINALLY! My PCP's office called and said they have the copies of the medical records. I'll go pick them up tomorrow and drop them off at the Weight Loss Clinic (WLC). The WLC even called me this morning to remind me that they need this to schedule my next appointment.

Today I tried to add a picture here and I even followed the instructions (LMAO); however, it was still way too big. I'll keep trying.


I finally got a picture up,,,it's still big though. I also took the copies to the WLC and I have an appointment next Wed. to see Dr. Wieger. WOOHOO! Let's get this ball rolling!


I went to the support group meeting tonight. Someone named Alice spoke about her journey. She is 10 mos. out and lost 145 lbs. It seems so hard for me to fathom right now. I teared up a few times when she spoke of things like fitting in the bathtub and the water doesn't get stuck behind you and how her girls measure how much she lost by them putting their arms around her. This is so overwhelming for me. I'm tearing up again now just thinking about it. My friend Bonnie went to the meeting with me. She is such a blessing. I don't know what I would do without her. She is my rock and would support me no matter what I do. I wish I could say the same for my husband. There were only a few dishes here when I left for the meeting and I hoped he would do them for me. I was wrong.


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Wednesday at 10:00 I was to meet with Dr. Wieger about the surgery and Jess the nutritionist to start the 6 mo. diet. An hour and 10 min. before my appointment I received a call from the WLC and they told me they needed a referral for my insurance. I thought they already HAD the referral. They said they did not. Last week they called me and said "all we need yet are the copies of 3 yrs. of medical records". Well HELLO! Do you people know what you are doing???????????? Keep in mind my PCP closed her office LAST FRIDAY. However, my sweet friend Del in the PCP's office was still there working so GOD BLESS HER she was able to fax the referral to the WLC. My heart has been racing like a freakin freight train. An hour and 15 min. later when they take my blood pressure, it is STILL 160/98. So I meet with Dr. Wiegere and he goes over the surgery and then I met with Jess and she gave me the 6 mo. diet. So yesterday I started the diet and last night I sat down and and filled out the food chart and LOW AND BEHOLD I didn't even eat enough! I didn't eat any more though because this diet allows no snacking. I'm trying so hard to prepare myself for this surgery both physically and emotionally so that I have no complications after surgery. However, I don't want to lose too much during this 6 mos. because then I won't be qualified to have the surgery. Dr. Wieger did say that I could lose around 40 lbs.


Neck 15.00
Bust 51.25
Upper Arm 14.00 L 15.00 R
Lower Arm 10.00 L 9.50 R
Wrist 6.25 L 6.25 R
Waist 51.34
Hips 61.00
Thigh 27.50 L 26.25 R
Knee 21.50 L 23.00 R
Calf 17.75 L 17.50 R
Ankle 10.50 L 10.25 R


I never said I was a very patient person. I started this diet on Thursday and have been very faithful to it. Today is Monday and I haven't lost a freaking ounce! I am sooooooooo pissed! How am I ever going to make it through this!


Well, I've lost 6 lbs. so far. Not much but it's a start.


When I weighed in at my first appoint on 4/13 I had only lost 3 lbs.
WTF is up with that! I was so damn dedicated too. Oh well, I'm not gonna worry about it.

I left for Florida on 4/15 and was so afraid I would need that seat belt extension. Trust me when I say I had to turn into superwoman but I did NOT get the extension. Nor did I unbuckle the damn thing cause I didn't want to go through THAT again! Thank GOD it was only a 2 hr. flight and non-stop. We had such a good time and it was very relaxing. Bonnie's mom is an absolute sweetheart. I never did so much shopping for myself on a vacation. I almost felt guilty but then decided...what the hell. We went to the pool 3 or 4 times. Of course the only reason I wore a bathing suit was because I knew I'd never see those people again except for Betty. We spent 9 hours at Universal on Wed. and my feet hurt so freakin bad that they were numb! Then to top it all off, we forgot to write down where we parked the car. We kindasorta remembered so Bonnie (bless her heart) told me to wait and she would go find it.

On Thurs. we went to Casadaga. Wow, what a wonderful experience! The mediums in this spiritual camp use no toolsl such as tarot cards, crystal balls, etc. They are all ministers too. They go through 8 to 10 yrs. of training before they are certified. We had Arlene Sikora. She was wonderful! Get this,,,,the first thing she mentioned to me was "what's going on in here?....she was pointing to my stomach". I said nothing now but I'm planning on having gastic bypass surgery. She said "oh thank you" because I could feel a lot of healing going on there and I could see you shrinking very quickly. The spirits continued telling her that I would be a very successful patient with no sickness or illnesses related to the surgery and that I was in wonderful hands with Dr. Currie. I have many family members on the other side who are routing for me with this surgery. You have no idea how awesome that makes me feel. This reading was so awesome for me I can't begin to tell you. Arlene even tapped it and gave it to me so now I can listen to it whenever I like.

I talked to DH several times when I was away. He had an interesting week while I was away. One night we had 4 baby squirrels in the basement. The mother must have gotten in through the dryer vent. Thank God I wasn't there! Our dog got so excited when the trash men came that she flew up onto the recliner, tipped it over and it broke one of the front windows AGAIN! Another night he mowed for the first time and ran over a bunnie's nest. Fortunately it was low enough and they weren't hurt. It was also my granddaughter's birthday on Tues. while I was away and would you believe I forgot to call her before 9:30. When I did call she was already asleep. I felt SO BAD I can't even tell you. I did call her the next morning before she went to school though. So DH took it upon himself the next day to get her a cake and ice cream and invited them over. Since he's not my daughter's father I was rather impressed with that one. I flew home on the 22nd. Keep in mind the temps were in the high 80s and low 90s in Florida. I stepped over the plane in Harrisburg to rain and 49 degrees. That sucked big time! OH YEAH,,,at 10:30 Sat. night I couldn't find my glasses. My purse had fallen over that morning and my glasses fell out and went under the bed. Bonnie's mom overnited them to me on Monday. She's such a dear.

Before I went to FL I was extremely busy with hair clients in the evening and I only had 1 appointment for the week I got back so I thought I would be able to slide this week. OH NO! By the end of the day on Monday, I had 8 people scheduled for the week. I'm not at all complaining because I love the work! I just thought I could creep back into the humdrum of working 2 jobs this week.

Diet wise I must still think I'm on vacation because things haven't gone well in that department this week either. I only have 2 weeks before I weigh in again. I guess I'll try a quick Adkins to get back on track.

Monday is my colonoscopy and I am so dreading the prep work on Sunday. I cannot eat or smoke after midnight on Sat. I have to be at the surgery center Mon. at 9:00. Maybe I can take a sleeping pill and sleep through Sunday. Ok,,,NOT


The prep for the colonoscopy was absolutely disgusting. The Fleets Phospho Soda was so gross I thought I would puke. The actual colonoscopy was a breeze. I woke up and never knew they did anything to me. The most embarassing thing was having to fart loud farts with strangers around but you had to do it to get out of there. Then DH took me to CrackerBarrel for lunch before he went to work.


Last night DH had SEVERE pain in his ankle. He was up ALL NIGHT and had me awake for most of it too. I didn't know what to do for him. I thought maybe he had gout so I called the PCP (first time to this guy since Judy Carhart closed her practice) and took him in. He said it was not gout because it wasn't swollen enough or red. He has no clue what is wrong but he put him on an anti-inflammatory and said if it's not better in 2 or 3 days to call. It was good I had something to occupy my time with today because today is 38 yrs. since my mom died and I still miss her SO MUCH! I LOVE YOU MOM! I know you can hear me!


DH finally got some relief. He doesn't have constant pain,,only when he walks on it and we both got some sleep last night. THANK YOU GOD! YOU are so good!

This diet is going to be the death of me. I have to weigh in next week again and of course I haven't lost any weight so it's Atkins for me for a while.


I lost 5 lbs. when I weighed in last week (13 total). I was sure happy about that! 2 mos. down, 4 to go!

What I want to accomplish through surgery:

1. Get rid of back, knee, ankle and foot pain.
2. Walk and breathe at the same time.
3. Get off all prescription drugs.
4. Like what I see in the mirror.
5. Sit comfortably in a booth.
6. Give myself a pedicure.
7. Go up and down steps without pain.
8. Not be the biggest person everywhere I go.
9. Have energy.
10. Shop at Victoria Secrets
11. Wear jeans with a belt and the shirt tucked in. (I don’t think
I’ve ever in my life done this!)
12. Get out of the bathtub like a normal person.
13. Be happy with myself.


It's been a while since I've updated. I don't really have much to report. I'm still struggling through this damn diet. Yesterday I weighed in for month #4 and gained 4 freakin lbs. I've managed to quit smoking with the nicotrol inhaler and last week I joined the gym. I'm so irritable I can't even stand myself. I joined the gym to help condition and prepare myself for surgery and my knees feel worse than they did before. Some days I can't even do the treadmill they hurt so bad. I'm severely depressed with my job, my marriage and everything in between. I continue to read profile after profile and pray that in a year from now I will actually like myself. Right now I just can't even consider it.


It's been a while. In month #5, I managed to lose 6 lbs. It month #6, I gained a half lb. The only consolation is that I'm done with the 6 mos. They mailed my paperwork in Friday to the ins. co. and I was approved by Tues. Can we say THANK YOU GOD! In 2 weeks I go to my PCP for chest x-ray, EKG, blood work, etc. As soon as those results are in, I will get a date.

It's been rough the last month. I had to go through 4 weeks, 1 hr. a day, 5 days a week for spinal decompression therapy for a herniated disc. I laid on a table where I was strapped in and the table stretched my spine. They gave me a big sport ball when I was done so now I do exercises at home. And yes,,,,I DO THEM! I can't wait to be rid of pain when I start losing weight. If the pain does not go away, I will be soooooooo depressed!


EKG was abnormal so now I have to see a cardiologist on Oct. 16. I'm just grateful it didn't take 2 months to get an appointment. I'm praying all goes well. Everything is in God's hands and what will be, will be.

About Me
Harrisburg, PA
Surgery Date
Feb 22, 2006
Member Since

Friends 22

Latest Blog 5
March 2008
June 27, 2007
April 27, 2007
March 21, 2007
February 7, 2007