Weighing your food?

R S.
on 4/25/04 7:51 am - Chicago Suburb, IL
Do all of you weight your food every day? How many ounces' do you have at each meal? I have been all over the Internet looking for any guidelines for 3 months post-op and after and haven't found anything. Everything seems to be for the first three months only. I haven't weighed anything cause I just eat until I'm full and stop. Although I worry that I might end up overdoing it at some point and stretch my pouch. Also, how often do you get hungry? I'm hungry every 2 - 3 hours. Got any ideas on a good snack that would keep ya full for longer? after yogurt or a protein shake, im hungry in an hour.
Sharon W.
on 4/25/04 10:20 am - Indianapolis, IN
Hi Rene This is What I was given by my doctor @ St Vincent in Carmel In. I hope this helps yes I all most weight everything I went to Gordens food and bought little one oz little disposible cups. For the 3rd month you should have for breakfast. 1oz Protein, 1 oz startch & 1 oz fruit. Lunch 1oz protein, 1 oz vegetable, & 1oz fruit. Dinner 1oz protein 1oz startch & 1oz vegetable. Months four and five. Breakfast 2oz Protein, one oz startch and 1 oz fruit. Lunch 2 oz protien 1 oz vegetable & 1oz fruit. Dinner 2oz protein, 1oz starch & 1oz vegetable. Months 6 & 7 Breakfast: 2 oz protein, 2oz startch $ 1oz fruit. Lunch : 2 oz Protein, 2oz vegetables and 1oz fruit. Dinner: 2oz Protein, 2oz startch & 1oz vegetable. Months 8 & 9...Doing Great. Breakfast 2oz Protein, 2oz starch & 2oz fruit. Lunch: 2oz Protein, 2oz Vegetables % 2 oz fruit. Dinner: 2oz Protein, 2oz starch & 2 oz vegetables. Month 10 & 11 closer each day Breakfast: 3 oz protein, 2 oz starch & 2 oz fruit. Lunch: 3oz protein, 2 oz vegetable & 2 oz fruit. Dinner 3 oz protein, 2 oz starch & 2 oz vegetables. One year to Goal weight...Time flies with Sucess. Breakfast: 4oz protein, 2oz starch & 2 oz fruit. Lunch: 4 oz protein, 2 oz vegetables, & 2 oz fruit. Dinner: 4 oz protein,2oz starch & 2 oz vegetable. It also states remember to drink 3 cups of skim milk a day & get your other liquids in each day to total 64 oz. Hope this helps and its not to long
BarbieCarroll
on 4/25/04 12:34 pm - Norcross, GA
Hi Renee, I know what you are talking about. Some days I feel like I can eat forever! I don't - but I feel like it. I have found some snacks that work well - almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins and peanut butter and crackers. Cheese sticks work well - but I only want them once in awhile. Look for foods with bulk - yogurt and protein shakes are good, but they go right through me. I'm still eating mostly protein for the most part. I do have fruit (my new candy!) and salads. Refried beans and cheese are also a good snack. I don't weigh foods - I ball park it and tell by my pouch. I had this surgery to stop the horrid cycle of obsessing over food. One of my goals of the surgery is to eat like a normal person - when I'm hungry, eat till I'm just barely full, and choose healthy foods that I like. It takes work to develop a new relationship with food, but between my new tool, support and therapy - this is what is working for me. I hope you find what works for you! Good Luck! Barbie 1-21-04 281/232/150ish
R S.
on 4/25/04 2:28 pm - Chicago Suburb, IL
thank you both so much........that helps out a lot.
LadyRage
on 4/26/04 5:35 am - Metropolitan Area, MD
Hello Rene: I'm one that has to weigh my food...because unfortunately I'm still having problems with not being able to tell when I'm full. So to keep it safe I need to weigh my food. I found a food weigher at the local GNC...for about 7 bucks. Now when I go out to eat...because I didn't bring my lunch in with me to work...I normally just do about 3 tablespoons full of whatever I'm eating...because again I have a hard time telling when I'm full. As for how much I eat...I keep it at 3-4 ounces per meal. Sometimes less...just depends on what I'm eating. And I normally will stay full for about 3-4 hours...again depending on what I eat. Most times I can drink something about an hour after I eat...without having the feeling. Hope this helps! Jaye P.S. you really should talk to your doctor to see how much he wants you eating...because every doctor is different. I know some people who had surgery around the same time I did and they are only eating 2-3 ounces. So it just depends on your dr.
R S.
on 4/27/04 12:28 am - Chicago Suburb, IL
I have a scale for weighing my food, I just havent used it yet. As for the doctor, I went to my 3 month follow up but the doctor ended up canceling while i was sitting in the office...he was caught up in surgery.
francescurrit
on 4/26/04 5:38 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Hi there, Rene - Yep, I weigh my food at every meal (unless I'm eating out). I have a kitchen scale and try to eat 2 oz. protein at every meal, and then 1-2 oz. other stuff (mostly steamed vegetables, but every so often I add in some potato). I figure I'm currently at 3 - 4 oz so I try to keep it there or less for each meal. As for how often I get hungry, it seems quite a bit - at least every 4 hours or so after my first meal of the day. For snacks, I've found that Babybel cheese rounds work really well for me (you can get them for a good price at Sam's or Costco's), as well as a teaspoon of peanut butter. And both taste pretty good, as well . I hope this helps, and keep up the good work! Frances
R S.
on 4/27/04 12:31 am - Chicago Suburb, IL
Getting hungry every 4 hours seems normal to me. I feel hungry every 2-3. As for the peanut butter, i tried that last night, and that seems to work pretty good....thanks!! =)
DJJCHARRIS
on 4/27/04 6:59 am - Winchendon, MA
Yes, I weight all the time. I usually eat a total of 4 oz per meal and I do eat 5 times a day... usually every 3 hours. And of course most of that 4 oz is protein. I have found that if I eat until I am full usually 2-3 hours later I am feeling terrible. Usually just upset with gas. I wish you all the best Dawn -63
Most Active
Recent Topics
10.5 years out
tyx3mom · 2 replies · 690 views
How is everyone doing?
Nancy · 0 replies · 807 views
Support for 10yr Post-Op
susan1713 · 0 replies · 762 views
Scared of a colonoscopy!
terrylynn · 0 replies · 793 views