Post Surgery Weight

rmichelleb
on 4/15/12 7:31 am - Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
I am currently 211lbs and 5'2. I have lost 12lbs since I applied for bypass. Is there anyone else a similar weight? I have no health issues either and the few people that I have told I am having surgery are against it and feel I should just lose it on my own.
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/12 9:20 pm - Romulus, MI
RNY on 04/25/12
You and I have a lot in common. I too am 5'2" and I currently weigh 215 lbs. I am having the RNY done on 4/25. I do have sleep apnea (I do not use my C-pap machine) I used to have High Blood Pressure (lost some weight, no longer on meds) the only other issue that I have is my osteoarthritis in my knees and hips.

The only person that supports my WLS is my husband...and that took some persuading. He finally went with me to the WLS seminar where I am having my surgery. I think that after the nutritionist passed around a plastic blob that looked like "fat" and it weighed 5 lbs, he was finally on board with me. She made him hold it for the duration of the seminar...needless to say, he finally "GOT IT!" lol
She asked him if he would like 19 more of those to hold onto for the rest of the seminar, he said, "Nope, I get your point."

My family does not feel that I should have the surgery and I seriously feel that my own mother is jealous of me! Which really hurts. She too has always been overweight and now she is 68 yrs old and she told me that if I really want to lose the weight then I would!!! So, I asked her, "why are you always complaining about being overweight, apparently you like it because you have not tried hard enough to lose it." I felt bad saying it, but I am so frustrated with her and my 2 younger sisters (who happen to be less than 120 lbs each!). They said that I am taking the easy way out. I have heardfrom co-workers that I was hoping would have been supportive, and they say the same thing. They tell me that I am not "fat enough" and that I would never get approved for the surgery. I have been told that my Doctor must be crazy to approve the surgery. It gets very frustrating!

I am learning to hold my own and take care of myself and that my health and especially my knees and hips will thank me later.

Good luck with everything and I would like to keep in touch.
pepsi32861
on 4/21/12 12:28 pm, edited 4/21/12 12:29 pm - cuddebackville, NY
RNY on 04/03/12
I am 5'3 but weighed 244 and had the band removed and gastric bypass done on 4/3/12 and so far I have only lost 12 pounds. I am still on shakes but should be back to food this tuesday which for me makes 3 weeks. Most people around me also did not want me to go this route but in the end I felt I had to so I did what I thought was best for me. People that tell you , you should lose the weight on your own probably don't have the problems losing weight like you and I do, or they are just insensitive and in either case I think you should listen to your heart not theirs. Good luck to you and I wish you the best of success and happiness.

baxter1972
on 4/21/12 9:23 pm - NY
RNY on 04/17/12

My starting weight was 271.8 and I'm 5'4".   I have Diabetes, so I'm not exactly in the same boat as you, however...   NO ONE has the right to tell you that you are doing the wrong thing.   You are taking a GIANT step towards your future and your health and making your body strong for a long life.   Your height and your weight combined give you a 38.6 BMI into the Obese category.   You take off the weight, you take off the risks of health issues in the future, right?   Turn to the folks that you know will love and support you with any endeavor you take on.   Please look for a support group in your area.  The folks in these groups are amazing!  No judgement.  They share their e-mails, phone numbers, and most importantly, their minds!   Reach out to us on here and we will boost you anytime you need it.   p.s. - I'm 5 days post-op and is it hard, YES.  Is it the easy way out, HECK NO!  This is one of the hardest things I've ever done and I would NEVER look back!  Cheers to you rmichellb!!!!

rmichelleb
on 4/21/12 10:14 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
Thank you for your encouragement!

My father's side of the family has ALOT of health problems-heart, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes etc. All 3 of his brothers have had heart by pass surgery and one passed away after a second major heart attack. One of my cousins (who is closer to my dad's age than mine) had gastric by pass June 2010 and told me it is the best thing that has ever happened to her. She was also surprised that I do not have any of the health complications that she and the family had. We both figure it is just a matter of time due to family history and my weight. Ticking time bomb so to speak.
I wish you well and thanks again!
Michelle

Most Active
Recent Topics
6 months out! How is everyone?
AnnMarie · 2 replies · 467 views
New surgery date
dmmassengale09 · 2 replies · 734 views
Post Surgery Weight
rmichelleb · 4 replies · 717 views