Anyone need to go on a liquid diet before surgery?

Heather S.
on 10/13/07 6:27 am - Southern, NJ
My surgeon doesn't require it; but I think I'd like to go on a liquid diet before surgery. Is anyone required to do any sort of pre-surgery diet by their surgeon? I'd like some guidelines...I have some ideas from research and books but it would be nice to hear what an actual surgeon is suggesting. I'm thinking 2 weeks prior...unless I give up...then maybe 1! My surgery is scheduled November 7th. Heather
Maida F.
on 10/13/07 7:24 am - Round Rock, TX
RNY on 11/12/07 with
My doctor requires a low carb (< 30 grams/day) diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. I have the details in my notebook, if you want details. Some surgeons require a liquid diet, like Optifast. When I was signing my paperwork, one of the risks was excessive bleeding and one of the factors contributing to that was non-compliance with the pre-surgery diet. Gotta get that liver in shape. Best wishes! Maida
Heather S.
on 10/13/07 8:17 am - Southern, NJ
Hi Maida! Thanks for your response...I can do low carb...no problem...if you'd give me some of the details that would be great! I did Atkins for over a year about 8 years ago (lost about 80 lbs & gained every bit + back!) so I know I can do low-carb...but Atkins wasn't exactly healthy...I bet your surgeon gave you some better guidelines on how to accomplish the less than 30 carbs. I agree that getting that liver in shape is a good idea...I'm not sure why my doc doesn't require some sort of pre-surgery diet...maybe he does for some patients but not for me?!? I don't know...I'm young-ish (35) and in good health other than being FAT so maybe he just felt it wasn't necessary...I'd rather be on the safe-side. Besides, I know the more I get off now the closer to my "ideal" body weight I'll be when I stop losing. Trying to get a jump start and be as healthy as possible going in...you know? Thanks again, Heather
Maida F.
on 10/13/07 8:31 am - Round Rock, TX
RNY on 11/12/07 with
You sounds like you are going into this much like I am. I'm 37, healthy, and have already started implementing changes. I've lost 15 lbs since May and would like to loose a few more before surgery. *grabs notebook* Bariatric Surgery Pre-Operative Diet The pre-operative diet is low in carbohydrates and high in protein. The purpose of this diet is to use up the glycogen that is stored in your liver. Glycogen is the storage form of carbohydrates. Depleting your liver's glycogen stores shrinks the liver, which decreases the incidence of complications. Please note that this diet is not healthy for long-term use. Two weeks Prior to Surgery Your main focus will be on limiting carbohydrates to 30 grams per day. In general, you want the following daily mixture of nutrients: Carbohydrate - not more than 30 grams Protein - at least 70 grams Fat - in moderation (no fried foods, butter, high fat meats or dressings) You may use low carbohydrate, high protein drinks or bars during this time but make sure you read the labels and stay within the carbohydrate guidelines of 30 grams per day. One day prior to surgery: Sugar-free clear liquids Midnight prior to surgery: Nothing by mouth
Heather S.
on 10/13/07 9:22 am - Southern, NJ
Perfect! That's exactly the info I was looking for and it's do-able too! (she says now while eating a slice of frozen pizza and garlic bread!) I'm still open to hearing what everyone else is doing...(hint, hint) but if I don't get any replies that sound like a better guide then I think that's what I'll do! Thanks so much! Heather
Gail M.
on 10/13/07 9:35 am - Scranton, PA
Heather, Liquid diets seem to be standard protocol for WLS. I'm trying it but I blew it last night on pizza. Back on the wagon today. The PA State message board is awesome. You may want to check it out. Gail
Heather S.
on 10/13/07 9:47 am - Southern, NJ
Hi Gail...tell me, your liquid diet...does that mean just protein shakes or what? Jello and soups? I have been lurking on the PA board...it is more active than the NJ board but most everyone is using Barix and I get jealous (that's where I wanted to go!)... If you'd fill me in on what you're actually eating (rather, drinking) and for how long before your surgery I'd appreciate it. Any details would be great! Thanks, Heather
Gail M.
on 10/14/07 1:51 am - Scranton, PA
Heather, I'm starting it now because I gained 20 lbs from my consult in June until now. My doctor told me she won't operate if I gain so I'm trying to lose it before my PAT. I doing a liquid protein shake for breakfast Yuk & carnation instant SF breakfast for lunch. I made cabbage soup, which I have whenever. Double yuk. I have SF jello & pudding when I need a sweet snack. I have lots of caffeine free flavored tea, water, & any form of liquid that fills me. At dinner, I have chicken, broccoli or a green veggie, and salad. Today I'm having fish. So it's not a total liquid diet but I'm trying to do it so that I can stick to it until surgery date. I go for my PAT's on 10/22. That will probably be when I will find out if I have to do a total liquid diet pre surgery. Than I will cut out my dinner and replace it with liquid. Gail
Jeni_A
on 10/14/07 8:34 am - Rittman, OH
Actually I have to do MOM for 2 days before surgery and a full liquid diet the day before.
martinoa
on 10/14/07 8:51 am - North Olmsted, OH
Hi Heather Im also having my surgery on Nov 7, congrats on a new journey for both of us. Answer to you post is yes I have to go on a liquid diet which start Oct 24 for 2 weeks prior to the surgery. It consisit of i believe 900 some calories and i am only able to use High Protein slim fast drinks about 4.5 cans per day along with suger free popsicles, water, tea and crystal light or i can drink carnation liquid packets high protein also. Main thing is to get all ur vitamins and minerals in thats why i have to drink so much. Ive opted for the slim fast and have found it on sale at my local grocery store so for the two weeks it has cost me 80 bucks. It just easier for me cause it is already made for you in the can, you get 4 cans per pack which sorta sucks. I was told to loose 14 lbs before my surgery but the nutritionist told me i will have no prob loosing the 14 by going on the required liquid diet. I hope this helps a bit, also if you opt for doing the slim fast like i am required pop it in the freezer for about a half hour before you drink it and it tastes a whole lot better. Angel from Cleveland OHio PS good luck on the upcoming surgery, keep in touch if you like
Most Active
Recent Topics