Anyone need to go on a liquid diet before surgery?

crabbyapples
on 10/14/07 8:50 pm - fargo, ND
I start my Optifast Liquid diet today after my post op! I will only be allowed three shakes a day, raw veggies and clear liquids until surgery. After surgery, I continue for another week, and then eat these pureed tv dinner meals. This is something I will pick up at the pharmacy today and the price is over two hundred dollars. My uncle is a surgeon and he said some surgeons want you to loss 20 pounds before surgery and some just want you on a liquid for one week. I let you know more after my pre op today Jo
Blessedangel70
on 10/15/07 12:20 am - Fountain Inn, SC
My surgeon requires a four- week liquid diet. This is to be sure you can follow a diet and be discplined and to help shrink the liver before surgery. If you gain weight during the 4 weeks...your surgery will be cancelled!! The program is very strict which I like. You have 3 options of protein...Optifast, Unjury and something else...you drink 5 day and eat 1 low fat meal. I am starting my 2nd week tomorrow..So far so good. I weigh the morning. I am drinking the optifast ....it taste good and has lots of vitamins. I also add art. flavoring to kick it up a notch so I do not get bored. I add banana, orange, almond, lemon, coconut, cinnamon flavoring to the vanilla and it is really good. The chocolate taste just like hot ****o!! I am not having a problem at all. It is a lot of drinking ! I hope this helps! My surgery date is November 6th!! Let's get the party started!!!! Angela
Heather S.
on 10/15/07 1:42 am - Southern, NJ
Thanks everyone who's replied...I'm convinced that I'm going to do a 2 week diet...I'm thinking mostly protein shakes but will probably allow myself low-fat high-protein meat and some non-starchy veggies too. I'm thinking I just want to keep it less than 1500 calories a day, I want to be healthy...but I don't want to make myself weak and sick before the surgery by being TOO drastic. I think the main thing is to just get myself off the carbs and sugars! Suffer through the withdrawl before I'm suffering from the surgery! Good luck to everyone with upcoming surgeries! Heather
crabbyapples
on 10/15/07 9:34 am - fargo, ND
I had my pre op today, got my optifast and tray puree meals for after surgery. I can consume, along with the 5 protein shakes a day, broth, raw veggies, non caloric soda ( they prefer you to drink water), sugar free jello, and lettuce with spritz 1 calorie dressing spray (wishbone brand). You can subsitute the Optifast shakes for Ensure, Boost or slim fast high protein. Good for you to do this on your own! Jo
Linda C.
on 10/16/07 4:58 am - Murrieta, CA
RNY on 11/07/07 with
Hi, I'm also scheduled for Nov. 7. My sugeon requires two weeks prior a protien diet consisting of protein shake in the morning and at noon. Must be 35 grams of protein and less than 15 grams of carbs p/serving. Dinner is only 1 piece of protien, any kind, fish, meat, chicken about 3-5 oz. and brocklie or spinish. Nothing else but 64 oz of water each day. I started a little early. I was pretty hungry the first few days but got used to it. I already lost 6lbs in 5 days. I guess the point of this is to shrink your liver so it's easier for them to work in there. Whatever it takes. Don't give up. No one said this would be easy. Good Luck!! Linda
Pam T.
on 10/21/07 11:44 am - Saginaw, MI
I know this is coming a bit late ... but thought I'd share what I'm required to do. I had to order a "15 day pre-operative kit" from a vendor called Better MD (I checked their website and it doesn't look like they sell to the general public). It cost $146 for the 15 day supply. Seemed pricey to me, but I didn't have a choice. In the kit comes: - 6 flavors of protein powders for shakes (3 per day) - 2 flavors soup (creamy chicken veggie & ministrone is what I picked) - flavored high fiber drink mix I haven't actually received my box of goodies yet or the instructions on what i have to do, but it sounds like I'll be living on soup and protein shakes. The good thing about doing the liquid diet beforehand is that I won't have to do the bowel prep nightmare since I'll already be cleaned out from the diet. LOL! There's always a sunny side, huh? Good luck Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics