Protein?

bam_woodward
on 10/18/07 10:19 am - TN
Hi everyone! I am scheduled for sx on November 2nd. I am trying to come up with a good way to get protein in after surgery. They want me to have at least 60g per day. I am trying to figure out a liquid form that wouldn't be to nasty. Any ideas? Thanks! And congrats to everyone!
Marissa D.
on 10/19/07 8:02 am - Chico, CA
I really like Body Fortress. I get it from Wal-Mart for $12.97 for a 2 lb can, 30 servings, each with 23 g of protein. I use 1 scoop to i cup of FF milk, which makes it 35g. I love the vanilla, the chocolate has also been recommended to me. We have the same surgery date, good luck! Marissa
Jeni_A
on 10/19/07 10:46 am - Rittman, OH
I like Unjury. It is about 17.00 per can, but it is smooth blends with minimal effort. There are 20g of protein. I mix it with skim milk. I like the chocolate and the chicken soup. The strawberry was yuckie any way I made it and I am not a vanilla fan. Unjury.com.
Pam T.
on 10/20/07 1:08 am - Saginaw, MI
I've been trying out different protein powders for a while (I use the Wal-Mart one the most) .... but I hear so many people say that our tastes change so much after surgery that we might hate the kind of protein after surgery that we loved beforehand. So I'm trying to keep an open mind. I plan to make a trip to GNC and see if I can get some samples of different kinds (I've heard some stores offer samples, but not all). That way I can try out several different brands or flavors without buying a whole jar and end up a bunch of stuff I'll never use. There's also a great variety of flavors at the Vitalady website and a few other websites that I can't remember names of. I haven't been to my official nutrition class yet, but I'm sure I'll get a list of foods that I'll be able to eat in the early stages post-op. Lots of high-protein foods that can help get you to that 60g goal. Pam
bam_woodward
on 10/20/07 11:08 am - TN
Thank you all for responding. Are you all going to be doing the lap band? I am supposed to start a liquid diet on the 26th and continue it till my surgery date. Glucerna isn't so bad, I drank it while pregnant with my girls (twins, 7 months old) I had gest. diabetes.
miamolli
on 10/22/07 12:11 am - MA
I am having lap band surgery on 11/21. Even before my decision on WLS, I had protein shakes for breakfast, because I am not a big breakfast fan and sometimes skip. I love Designer Whey chocolate. one scoop with a half banana and a TBSP of peanutbutter added to ice and 1 cup of water, blended REAL well. It is my favorite! try it..if you like those ingrediants. Also, there are protein drinks by NAKED and they have a pumpkin flavored, a bit sweet, but good. Good luck with everything.
Karen-baltimore
on 10/25/07 8:48 am - carney, MD
where do you get Glucerna at? GNC? Thanks, Karen
llben79
on 10/23/07 12:32 am - Buffalo, NY
Hi there! I am scheduled for open RNY on November 14th!!! Yay!!!!! If you visit the website *bariatriceating.com*, click on RTD protein (ready to drink), and I have tried the AchieveOne, (coffee flavored is awesome), and you cannot beat the 3 OZ liquid protein bullets...you get 42G of protein in just 3 OZ!!!! They are a little pricey, but will do the trick especially in the beginning, when we cannot FIT much in our stomach!!! Also the micellar milk packs a lot of protein. It tastes like liquid jello and comes in 3 flavors. Also, *allthewhey.com* has a bariatric variety pack for 9 bucks to try, and they taste pretty good too!! Good luck to everyone. It hasn't really sunk in for me yet...it seems surreal I guess. I know myself, and I will have a little tweaking going on the day or two before surgery!! It will probably take that long for it it sink in!! I have always wanted to be healthy and thin and be normal, but I guess that since I have always struggled with my weight, I just can't quite to seem to fathom a smaller me! Oh well, again...good luck to all!!!
bam_woodward
on 10/23/07 3:27 am - TN
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm kinda nervous. I got a call today to set up for pre-testing. Having a upper GI and some labs and all that good stuff done on Thursday. Thanks for all the advice on the protein. I don't think the whole process is going to be easy, but I am really up for the challenge! Good luck to everyone!
bam_woodward
on 10/25/07 10:09 pm - TN
Hey Karen- You can get Glucerna at Walmart or any grocery store I think. At Walmart they keep it in the pharmacy. Like next to the meters and diabetic supplies. Just had one for breakfast this morning, not bad at all!
Most Active
Recent Topics