Anxiety is creeping up....

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/07 7:08 am
Hey guys, my RNY is scheduled for November 16th and although I am psyched about the future I am getting nervous about the procedure, complications, etc. I am an RN in an ICU and get to see a variety of bariatric surgery patients almost every shift. Some of them have no problems at all and some have severe complications. I am young and have a pretty good health history with minimal health concerns comparitively but I am still getting nervous!
Pam T.
on 10/20/07 1:00 am - Saginaw, MI
Christa - I totally understand the nervousness. Mostly right now I'm overwhelmed with excitement and anticipation ... but that little feeling of nervousness is sitting there in the back of my mind too and I'm sure as my date gets closer it will creep closer to the front of the line. But this is a HUGE step we're taking, so being nervous seems normal, I think. Your experience of seeing post-op patients while they're recovering in ICU is a unique opportunity, I think. Because you've seen what the complications look like, you may be able to catch anything that happens to you a bit sooner because you've seen it in others firsthand. Your knowledge and experience is invaluable for your own surgery. Will you be having surgery in the same hospital where you work? Will you be taken care of by your fellow co-workers (special treatment :D)? We're all nervous. Its normal. But we're all in this together and we'll do great! Pam
BeatlesFreak
on 10/26/07 12:39 pm - Mesquite, TX
Lap Band on 08/16/07 with
You're gonna do great! Getting nervous is normal; anyone who doesn't is just plain crazy! This is a major surgery, so of course you are gonna be nervous. But everything is going to be fine. Like you said, you are young and in good health. I'm sure the surgeon is very qualified and has done a thousand of these, so you are in good hands. Just remember that many of those people who have complications are not following the rules; some are not eating correctly, trying to eat the things they know they can not eat anymore, or not getting in enough protein and vitamins. Just follow the rules and do exactly what you are told! I can't wait to hear from you after the surgery, and after about 1 month. You're gonna look back on this post and laugh!
Most Active
Recent Topics