Can Anyone Help?

Suzy58
on 11/15/07 4:53 am
I know this process is a lengthy one, (being approved for the lap band procedure) but part of my frustration is because i have studied just about every aspect of banding, have weighed the pros and cons and read everything I can get my hands on. I have finally decided this is the way I want to go. My insurance covers the procedure, and I qualify as far as my BMI goes. So my internist gave me a referral to a surgeon here in Duluth Minnesota that performs the surgery. His nurse just called me back and said the Doctor will not meet with me until I have attended an informational meeting. Unfortunately, there are no meetings scheduled here, and the nurse had no idea when there would be one. Now I am deflated. Any ideas? Sue from Duluth
Ragdollover
on 11/16/07 12:05 pm - West Richland, WA
Have you looked for other surgeons in the area? Seems strange that the surgeon doesn't hold one himself. I would check him out more. Good luck and keep us updated. In the meantime I will help you look for one. Connie
Ragdollover
on 11/16/07 12:20 pm - West Richland, WA
Hello Susan, Okay, you may want to consider getting this done in ST. Paul. I did a little research and there are more surgeons there and they have better reviews, more experience, and a lot less requirement time in the hospital after surgery. I know it is a couple hours from your home but may well be worth it. I have to travel 4 hours to get mine done and I know it is a pain in the butt, but worth it too. You may want to at least check and see if they hold monthly orientations like most hospitals do and at least that way you can get that requirement met. Hope this helps. Connie
Suzy58
on 11/18/07 10:22 pm
Connie, Thanks so much for your reply and information. Shortly after I posted that entry, I got a call from the Doctor's office telling me that an informational meeting has been scheduled for December 12th and I was able to get a reservation to attend. I wil take your advice and check out this physician and his background carefully. You guys are great!~
Pam T.
on 11/17/07 2:27 am - Saginaw, MI
If a surgeon's office doesn't offer informational meetings, it's be a BIG RED FLAG for me. How much experience does this dude have? Is he just a single surgeon practicing within a hospital or is he attached to a bariatric program? How many lap-band surgeries has he performed? What's his complication rate? mortality rate? What is is other training speciality (my WLS surgeon is also a trauma surgeon). What kind of after-care can he offer? Does he have a nutritionist on staff to help you through your diet and eating issues after surgery? If he's not part of a bigger program, then I'd look elsewhere. Don't rely on your family doctor's recommendation. Do the research for your own health and well being. My former PCP recommended a surgeon who was just starting his bariatric practice and gave me his name simply because he was in town. But come to find out, that surgeon had very little experience and in fact because he hadn't performed 100 surgeries yet, insurance wasn't even covering services performed by him. So sometimes PCP's don't really know what they are doing when they give you a referral. You'll have to do your own research. You want someone who has done at least 500 surgeries (1000 is better) and has a very good after-care program. There are lists of surgeons here on OH - that'd be a good place to start. Good luck, Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics